patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4484 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 81
04 February 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
There are lots of studies in 2nd language acquisition, but many are not that relevant to self-learners.

For instance, I am interested in reading as an aid to learning your L2, but most of the papers I have seen have been for studies that are just not that relevant because they are looking at standard learning situations (e.g., students reading books for 1 hour/week), not self-learning (e.g., students reading 2-3 hours/day). The published results are suggestive, but that's about it. A lot of the other techniques self-learners employ are simply not used in the classroom setting so there are few if many good studies out there.

In addition, the psychology/neuroscience of 2nd language learning is simply not well enough understood to be useful to settle pedagogic disputes at this time.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5907 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 10 of 81
04 February 2014 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I run some risk here of skewing the ongoing experiment, but ironically none of my fellow lab rats will believe me (really, no sane person ever should, in any context), so I consider myself free to leak the details of my research into this - I was overseas for a couple of weeks this January ferretting this out....

The interesting reality is that there is a large-scale research project currently underway right now, originally sourced by a gentlemen in Switzerland by the name of Micheloud, code-named for confidential research purposes the Mezzofanti Project, which involves open-sourced voluntary* unknowing and unaware test subjects running a variety of learning methods who are closely monitored through the screening of their various "posts", and who are put through various testing protocols identified with random acronyms such as the "TAC" and "6WC" initiatives, and (somewhat of a dark chapter), the sinister "L-R Method" experiment, discontinued when a number of test volunteers were rendered utterly mad by the experimental protocols.

So now you know.   

P.S. the experiment overseer group, codenamed in kafka-esque fashion "The Moderators" all wear white lab coats. But no one knows this, since they operate in an unseen fashion only by way of post.

* voluntary in the same way mice voluntarily hunt down the tasty bit of cheese hidden somewhere at the end of the maze, and watched and monitored just as closely....

Edited by Spanky on 04 February 2014 at 3:34am

16 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4395 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 11 of 81
04 February 2014 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
Found a discussion on YouTube broken into 7 parts:
Webinar on effective language learning
techniques

The first part consists of a discussion with an Italian polyglot Luca Lampariello.

Edited by shk00design on 04 February 2014 at 4:59am

5 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4205 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 81
04 February 2014 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
While studies might be able to find broad generalizations about language learning, I feel like there are just way too many variables to make them useful to an individual learner. What language are you learning, what previous language experiences you have, what you want to use the language for, what subjects you're interested in, and what non-language skills can you adapt to language learning, all play a massive role in how well you do. Not even an individual person can objectively measure what methods work best from them, because after each new method and language they're also different as a learner.

In addition it's really hard to isolate a single method, because there are lots of small variations in how someone uses a method, and mental state also plays a huge role. I feel I'm more likely to remember a sentence if a write it down, but what also matters is if I'm rushing to write the sentence out or taking my time to write it neatly and clearly, and even something like: if I chose to write the sentence because I liked it, or if I'm writing it out because I said I would write out all of lesson 17 today, can play a huge role.

I personally believe the most efficient learning style will always be when you're fully aware of your goals, strength, and weaknesses in a language and selectively pick a method that you know works for you to improve the areas you feel need work. I don't necessarily buy into the "everyone has their own unique learning style" theories, it's just that there are so many variables that are always changing about your personal situation, and you will always be the most informed person about that and most capable to making intelligent decisions.

Personally the research I would find the most valuable would be to read several personal accounts from really experienced and independent language learners, compare their situation to mine, try out their methods, and see how well they work for me modify mix and match what I learn into figuring out my own routine.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6548 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 13 of 81
04 February 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Exactly! Even when asked "just tell me what to do!" we try to find out more about a specific learner's situation and/or acknowledge that we say what works for us, and pretty much everyone will have to adjust it to their needs at least a little.

Also, research tends to choose people's goals for them. It's always too much about speaking, with excessive focus either on perfect grammar or "as long as you can communicate idgaf". Even when people take classes, they all have different goals. Someone loves geeky L2 stuff, someone loves mainstream L2 stuff, someone is about to get married or go for work abroad, someone is going to Switzerland* next year, someone needs to get a certificate, someone is forced by their parents/company/whatever etc etc etc, and then there are always a few people who have no clue what they are doing there. If you compare them, see how well they reach *their* goals and not some abstract goals in a vacuum.

*easiest example, heh. 5 people with plans to go there can be learning 5 different languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6654 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 81
04 February 2014 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
P.S. the experiment overseer group, codenamed in kafka-esque fashion "The Moderators" all wear white lab coats. But no one knows this, since they operate in an unseen fashion only by way of post.

Even I didn't know that .. thanks for the information.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5483 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 81
04 February 2014 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Spanky wrote:

Even I didn't know that .. thanks for the information.

Hmm. Now I totally need a white lab coat.

Anyway, I've read a bunch of second language acquisition research. It tends to fall into a few categories:

1. Some studies claim adult language acquisition is impossible, generally after interviewing a small group of advanced non-native speakers who've spent a few decades using the language. (Huh, what?) The evidence against adult language learning is based on either (a) a lingering accent, (b) minor persistent grammar errors, or (c) sticking somebody in an MRI and seeing minor differences in brain response. Me? I couldn't care less about what an MRI says, or whether I have a slight accent, so I find these studies rather irrelevant. (OK, to be fair, I do find a delicious irony in reading French studies that claim I couldn't possibly have learned French.) Here's a typical summary of what this research concludes, but I don't recommend reading it unless English is your L2, because without the irony of reading it in a second language, it's just too discouraging. :-) I specifically call bullshit on this assertion:

Quote:
In the overwhelming majority of individuals, however, this natural ability to acquire spoken language without deliberate effort begins to diminish sharply at about the age of puberty (12-14 years of age).

My wife's English is purely "acquired" from about B2 up, and my French is at least 75% "acquired", both well after the age of 14. And kids are frequently awful about acquiring second languages that aren't used in the surrounding community, even given massive exposure. As for other examples of this sort of study, if you're learning French, you might enjoy this one, which is a much better example of the genre.

2. Studies based on classrooms, which typically involve 20 unmotivated students who aren't ever going to reach a decent level. For a nice overview of this subfield, read through Scott Thornbury's blog. Thornbury is widely respected in this area, and he lived for about 30 years in Spain without ever getting comfortable in Spanish. To his immense credit, he recently decided to fix that, and made rapid progress. He cites tons of classroom-oriented researchers. But again, this work has only modest relevance for obsessed, independent learners. (Hi, HTLAL!)

3. Studies performed by Stephen Krashen and his crew. The conclusion of these studies is always: "You should probably read a whole lot and watch some television, because that has a big effect, and other things don't seem to change the outcome much." Other researchers keep responding to Krashen and saying things like, "Well, we had our students read 100,000 words of boring books, and it only had a modest effect." Krashen meanwhile gets frustrated and points out that it takes at least a million words to reach a decent level, and that the student should pick the books, and why can't people actually test his theories instead of ridiculous strawmen, please?

4. Small studies which teach volunteers a new language with a few dozen words and some odd grammar. These studies do occasionally produce some interesting results—and they can be performed on a typical university researcher's budget—but honestly, there's only so much you can generalize from toy languages.

5. And finally, we come to the FSI, which has spent decades training thousands of people to speak foreign languages at a high level. Now, like HTLAL, all they really have is annecdotal evidence, but they have a lot of it. Here's what they say:

Quote:
Lesson 1. Mature adults can learn a foreign language well enough
through intensive language study to do things in the language (almost) as
well as native speakers

Lesson 3. There is no “one right way” to teach (or learn) languages, nor
is there a single “right” syllabus. Students at FSI and in other government lan-
guage training programs have learned and still do learn languages successfully
from syllabi based on audio-lingual practice of grammatical patterns, linguistic
functions, social situations, task-based learning, community language learning,
the silent way, and combinations of these and other approaches. Spolsky (1989:
383) writes, “Any intelligent and disinterested observer knows that there are
many ways to learn languages and many ways to teach them, and that some ways
work with some students in some circumstances and fail with others.” This
matches our experience precisely.

It is also clear, as many have reported, that learners’ needs change over
time—sometimes rapidly. Types of activities that worked very well for certain
learners at an early stage in a course may be almost completely useless a couple
of weeks later for those same learners (Larsen-Freeman 1991: 336–37). At the
same time, the lesson plan that works beautifully for “Class B” on Monday
morning may not work at all for a “Class C” that is at exactly the same stage in a
course. Learning is more efficient when the focus is on providing each learner
with what he or she needs in order to learn right now, not on teaching a preset
curriculum.

And so we come to a conclusion: Adults can learn languages (well, duh), and they can do so using a great variety of methods. This is more or less the prevailing wisdom at HTLAL, too—we have tons of adults who've learned languages to very respectable levels using many different methods. And we like to compare notes, just in case somebody has some good ideas that might help us fix a specific problem.

hobom wrote:
The question is really simple: What is the best way to study a language? I wonder why there is so little available empirical research on this.

Well, my answer is: Why do we need to learn a language the "best" way? If we wind up researching a decent level in a couple of years, and if we have fun along the way, does it really matter if there was a "better" way to learn the language? Or is our time better spent actually learning it and using it?
10 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4860 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 16 of 81
04 February 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I'll recommend one article in particular, namely
Myths about
vocabulary acquisition
by Jan-Arjen Mondria from Groningen.

Thank you for linking to that useful classic, Iversen. I read it a couple of years
ago, but have since tried to rediscover it, to no avail. Among the useful aspects is
the description of "the human computer", which is superior to any computer SRS I have
ever experienced.

One point I would disagree with them on (somewhat), is myth #6 "Words learned
productively are retained better." This was tested with a single group of students,
and over a very brief period of time (two weeks). And the vocabulary test given was
only receptive. It may be possible that if one only needs to use a language
receptively, then vocabulary only needs to be learnt receptively. But my own (so
therefore anecdotal) experience with Ancient Greek is that when I was learning
vocabulary receptively alone, I was forgetting a lot of words a few weeks later. Once
I started learning my cards both ways my long-term retention was significantly
improved.

Unfortunately, the limited study given to one myth out of seven leads me to wonder how
much research was actually given to any of them (although I generally find myself in
agreement with the rest of their points).

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version