Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4834 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 12
16 May 2013 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
But is there any way to make that input into the excel file any easier or less time
consuming, Medulin?

As I see it now, it trully doesn't matter whether you type it into anki and export or
into excel and import.
1 person has voted this message useful

xtremelingo
Trilingual Triglot
Canada
Joined 6112 days ago

398 posts - 515 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Punjabi*
Studies: German, French, Arabic (Written)

Message 10 of 12
25 June 2013 at 8:09am | IP Logged 

I agree, pictures can be time-consuming. But if you create a huge-set of pictures initially (time-consuming), the collection can be re-used for other languages (saving time).

A big part of thinking in the target language is to avoid translation.

vogue
Triglot
United States
Joined 4079 days ago

109 posts - 181 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 11 of 12
25 June 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
xtremelingo wrote:

I agree, pictures can be time-consuming. But if you create a huge-set of pictures initially (time-consuming),
the collection can be re-used for other languages (saving time).

A big part of thinking in the target language is to avoid translation.

I did this and had several thousand flashcards and then my computer crashed. Save these on a thumbdrive!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6422 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
25 June 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Hm, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I know I would want to use different photos to illustrate the word clothes in Swedish, Spanish and Indonesian :P

And the idea that by using pictures you avoid translating and think in the language is too simplified. First of all, what prevents you from thinking in your native language as you look at the picture? Absolutely nothing.
Even more importantly, there's a difference between doing translation exercises and using dictionaries and/or premade translations. If anything can harm your ability to think in the language, it's mostly translating things yourself, and mostly when you [have enough time to] think up an entire sentence in your L1 and then translate it.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version