Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
04 July 2013 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
Since upgrading to Anki 2 a wee while ago, I've noticed that the intervals seem to have become much more spaced out: they go very quickly from a few days to a few months. This means that I'm forgetting cards after having seen them a couple of times, and deliberately marking anything that I get less than instantly as Hard or even Again just so I'll see them again sometime in the foreseeable future rather than half a year later. Also, sometimes the Hard and Good intervals seem really close to each other (say, Hard 20 days, Good 22 days, Easy 1 month) and sometimes they're far apart (Hard 5 days, Good 22 days, Easy 1 month).

These were never problems in version 1, and its intervals seemed pretty much ideal. However, I do like the way version 2 sets the normal interval for new cards to <10 minutes instead of 1 day, so I see them again at the end.

I know that Anki lets you do a lot of tweaking of the settings, but I don't really know where to start, especially given the warnings I've heard like "don't change this unless you know what you're doing, otherwise you'll learn less effectively".

General discussion of Anki settings tweaks, not necessarily relevant to my problem, would also be welcome.
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4503 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 2 of 7
04 July 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
In any deck, you click on options, and here are the parameters you can change:
-New card tab:
-Starting ease : the default is 250%, meaning the interval should grow at a x2.5 every time you choose "good" ("easy" has a bonus of an extra 30%, making it x2.5x1.3, and "hard" should keep about the same interval...). Reducing this one is your best bet, but go progressively.
-Review tab:
-Interval modifier : here you need to check what is your current success rate (i.e. 100% - %age of cards you don't remember), and decide how much you want to reach (normally, somewhere between 90 and 95%). Compute log(desired)/log(current), it will give you a number lesser than 1 (except if you want to remember less than you currently do...), make it a percentage. The documentation gives the example of a person having a success rate of 85% and wanting to reach 90%, it advises to set the interval modifier to 65% since log(0.90) / log(0.85) = 0.65. This is to use with caution, since it means every card will have a 35% shorter interval, and you may soon find you have too many cards to review.

One thing I'm playing with is (in the review tab) the maximum interval: if you're not adding cards any more, you may not want them to reach very large intervals, and be sure to review the entirety of your deck every X days. (many people would find that extremely boring, however).
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4532 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 7
04 July 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I prefer those huge damn intervals. I hate seeing cards over and over again. I tend to
set max reviews to as many as possible because I don't review all that often (usually
while travelling).

Edited by tarvos on 04 July 2013 at 2:40pm

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4503 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 4 of 7
04 July 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I had put a disclaimer on that, tarvos :) I find that this is true for vocabulary cards, and even sentence cards, but I haven't gotten bored yet of audio cards, I find they're really helping me the more I hear them... if only to drill the music of the language in my head (but you may think otherwise the day I record myself speaking...).

Another question from the OP: why sometimes there's almost no difference between the three buttons, and sometimes it's large? -> that is the "ease" factor of the card. Every time you select one of the three buttons, you modify the "ease" of the card, and that ease factor is responsible for intervals: the lower the ease (i.e., the more difficult), the smallest the intervals will be. And as there is a lower bound on the intervals that corresponds to the hard button ("can't be smaller than the current interval of the card"), the all the intervals proposed are grouped together. So if you keep choosing hard, as you said, you'll have all three buttons with the same value, ultimately. If you use the buttons more "normally", then they'll have more varied intervals.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4532 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 7
04 July 2013 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
I have never used audio cards - in that case it might be more useful to repeat them.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 6 of 7
04 July 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot for the advice Vermillon. I also had a look at the documentation, which for an open-source project is amazingly good. I'll do some experimentation with these settings over the coming weeks. 250% growth of intervals seems excessive to me, so that's probably the main culprit. I also like the maximum interval idea - in my opinion, if a card is at the point of being due in 6 months or a year, I either know it well enough to simply delete it or the interval is too long and I'll forget it.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5385 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 7 of 7
04 July 2013 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
I never used the old version much, but I also find the intervals accelerate too quickly in
anki. The trouble is, I don't think it is suited to a uniform multiplier.

I feel like I probably need to see a card every day for the first three days, once a week
a few times, then once a month a few times, then every three months a few times and so on.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version