Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5195 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 73 of 93
06 November 2011 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I just listened to two of your videos, one in English and one in Spanish.I am a bit surprised at some of the criticism, as they seem to have unrealistically high standards. I have lived in Spain for three years, and in all that time I have only met one single person whose English was better than yours. It has a natural flow, very few and minor mistakes, and the pronunciation is easy to understand.

Well done.
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6536 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 74 of 93
07 November 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Hi, I just listened to two of your videos, one in English and one in Spanish.I am a bit surprised at some of the criticism, as they seem to have unrealistically high standards. I have lived in Spain for three years, and in all that time I have only met one single person whose English was better than yours. It has a natural flow, very few and minor mistakes, and the pronunciation is easy to understand.

Well done.

Thank you. You are very nice.

I don't know what standars people use here. I know a make mistakes but it doesn't stop me.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5195 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 75 of 93
07 November 2011 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
We all make mistakes. Unless we claim native fluency, that is something to be expected.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6536 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 76 of 93
17 December 2011 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Here you have the Spanish version of "Reading aloud and learning languages".

Leer en voz alta para aprender idiomas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Vfn3asnZo&list=UUm3PZhmZI68 j_6Bj-4_BC1w&index=1&feature=plcp

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6536 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 77 of 93
17 December 2011 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
I have this other channel about medicine. It is in Spanish and it might be useful if you are learning Spanish and you like or need those kind of topics:

Médico de familia:

http://www.youtube.com/user/alsanagust?feature=mhee

Alexander86
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
alanguagediary.blogs
Joined 4842 days ago

224 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, Catalan
Studies: Swedish

Message 78 of 93
17 December 2011 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Your English is very good and properly fluent but you have a clear accent (which is fine). Typical things which come
out in your accent are pronouncing THINK like a Spaniard would (little surprise there) and adding an -e to
structures, although this was a one off rather than a iterative error. Are you learning other languages? I think
Solfrid Cristin sums it up well, although I have met a few people who speak English better =)

Un saludo

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6536 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 79 of 93
18 December 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Alexander86 wrote:
Your English is very good and properly fluent but you have a clear accent (which is fine). Typical things which come
out in your accent are pronouncing THINK like a Spaniard would (little surprise there) and adding an -e to
structures, although this was a one off rather than a iterative error. Are you learning other languages? I think
Solfrid Cristin sums it up well, although I have met a few people who speak English better =)

Un saludo

Thank you. You are very nice.

I am aware that some of my English videos are very bad. My mistakes are crystal clear. However, I haven't deleted them because they are a useful as a reference and I want to experience this shame feeling.I am very different from the average people here. I am always been very bad learning languages. When I was a child, French was a nightmare for me. Recording a video or podcast in any language is amazing for me.

I am not studying any language right now. I read, listen and sometimes I talk.

Saludos

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5708 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 80 of 93
01 January 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
My mistakes are crystal clear. However, I haven't deleted them because they are a useful as a reference and I want to experience this shame feeling.I am very different from the average people here. I am always been very bad learning languages. When I was a child, French was a nightmare for me. Recording a video or podcast in any language is amazing for me.

I am not studying any language right now. I read, listen and sometimes I talk.

Saludos

I like watching your You Tube videos, both your language videos and your medical videos in Spanish and I would incourage to continue this interesting project.

If you speak foreign languages it's normal to make mistakes, also polyglots (myself inclusive) make language mistakes and they receive corrections, which should be helpful and not disrespectful.

If language learning is not your talent, then your talents are on other fields. It's very common that academics of natural sciences (and your subject medicine is one of them) have difficulties with foreign languagues. In that respect you are not an exception.

So please don't get discouraged only because you find out that other people have a better accent when they speak their foreign language.

Even I am not so deep into the methodology of language learning as you are, I watched several of your videos spoken in English and I can understand 100 % of your English.
Your English is far from a native English accent, but it's completely understandable.

So what's wrong with it? - Nothing!

Don't overfocus on your own language mistakes. We all make language mistakes because it's part of the learning process of language learning.

Happy new year and good luck with both of your You Tube channels!!!

Kind reagrds,

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 01 January 2012 at 5:36pm

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version