leroc
United States
Joined 4256 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 1 of 7
05 February 2013 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone at HTLAL reading my post! I’m a new language learner, although I’ve been a hobbyist for years. When I was a young kid I got hooked on long distance biking and have been doing that for years and continue to this day. I was hooked on poultry farming and did that for some years until I unfortunately had to get rid of them. Now I am wanting to learn a foreign language for the first time. I feel the basic concepts of persistence, hard work, and drive to reach the next peak and cross the next mountain pass I learned in long distance biking, and the daily maintenance routine I had to maintain for years with poultry farming, will transfer well into a daily language habit.

I’ve always been interested in language, ever since I learned to speak my mother told me that I would say a new word over and over just for the enjoyment of speaking. In middle and high school I read books on phonology and anthropological linguistics, yet oddly enough, never learned a language. I was more interested in phonology and theoretical models then actually learning a language. I still felt frustrated with myself on occasion that I could only communicate in English; somehow limited in my thought process and creativity. I now have a drive to learn a language and I wish to use this forum to talk to others that experience the same things I know I’ll go through, to help motivate me by holding me accountable to make it to the next log post.

Currently I am attempting to move to Norway later this year and have a good opportunity to do so. If everything works out I'll write kind of a travel/language log on this site. I'm not learning any language at the moment because if I don't end up in Norway I wouldn't have wanted to have wasted my time learning Norwegian if I couldn't go for sure.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope that I will be on good terms with most of you in this great community. I know I’ve gotten some enjoyment out of reading the logs and topics this past week and hope that I will contribute half as interesting material as some of the things I’ve read.

- Leroc

Edited by leroc on 07 February 2013 at 2:57am

1 person has voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4634 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 2 of 7
05 February 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Hello Leroc! Welcome to the Forum. Whatever language you decide to learn first will always hold a special place for you. I hope the Norway gig works out for you.

See you around.

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4279 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 7
05 February 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Welcome, Leroc. I'm quite sure the persistance and drive you've built over the years will translate nicely into this new path you're taking on. Just as long as you enjoy it, though. ;)

I hope your Norway plans go through. It's always great when things work out like one hopes they would.

Also...

leroc wrote:
I’ve been a hobbiest (?) for years.

A hobbyist. :p
3 persons have voted this message useful

leroc
United States
Joined 4256 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 

Message 4 of 7
05 February 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Welcome, Leroc. I'm quite sure the persistance and drive you've built over the years will translate nicely into this new path you're taking on. Just as long as you enjoy it, though. ;)

I hope your Norway plans go through. It's always great when things work out like one hopes they would.

Also...

leroc wrote:
I’ve been a hobbiest (?) for years.

A hobbyist. :p

I thought I spelled it wrong but my spell check wasn't picking it up. Hobbyist isn't exactly a word I use everyday haha.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6542 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 7
06 February 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
hobbit-hobbier-hobbiest :D
welcome!!! good luck with your studies!
(and moving... i really want to move to finland)

Edited by Serpent on 06 February 2013 at 12:15am

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4279 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 6 of 7
06 February 2013 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
leroc wrote:
I thought I spelled it wrong but my spell check wasn't picking it up. Hobbyist isn't exactly a word I use everyday haha.

I don't think ANYBODY uses that word on an everyday basis... haha.

Serpent wrote:
hobbit-hobbier-hobbiest :D

That brings all sorts of weird images to mind. Is the criterion for level of 'hobbitness' the furriness of one's feet? D:

"Mate, you the hobbiest man I've seen in years."

(Sorry for derailing your welcome thread, Leroc. XD Welcome again, and enjoy.)

leroc
United States
Joined 4256 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 

Message 7 of 7
06 February 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

That brings all sorts of weird images to mind. Is the criterion for level of 'hobbitness' the furriness of one's feet? D:

"Mate, you the hobbiest man I've seen in years."
(Sorry for derailing your welcome thread, Leroc. XD Welcome again, and enjoy.)

It's all good. I busted out laughing when I pictured a guy with a wooden leg talking to a jive English person!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version