CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4555 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 9 of 13
01 March 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Pastilies gia ton pono tou allou. Have you seen the add?

I saw that too!

Javier Bardem sounds great to me... but maybe I was listening more with my eyes. ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4303 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 10 of 13
01 March 2013 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
A vote just because you got that! He does sound great... The first time I saw the add, it took me a second to realize it was his voice, that he wasn't dubbed. He has excellent pronunciation, with a slight difference in the melody of his voice. But he is awesome.

If I may say something on the Cypriot accent: yes it's different and very distinctive. I think it's very melodic, more that modern athenian/attic. So are accents from Crete, northern Greece, different islands etc. It's been like that since ancient times, the variety I mean, and some accents and dialects go strong, others tend to fade. I personally feel very sorry for that.
1 person has voted this message useful

LunaK
Triglot
Greece
Joined 4249 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Greek*, English, SpanishB2
Studies: German

Message 11 of 13
02 March 2013 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Hello Luna. Welcome! A bit of accent is charming, I love it.

Pastilies gia ton pono tou allou. Have you seen the add?

See you around.

Thank you :)
Yes I've seen it and at first I couldn't tell If he was dubbed or not. But you see he's Spanish (one of the categories I mentioned that really sound like Greeks if they want to).
As for the course. I'm really amazed that you say he's from Cyprus. For those who know..Is this a Cypriot accent or not? I wouldn't know. I can tell Thessaloniki style or Crete accent etc. He just sounded foreign and the girl too.

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4555 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 12 of 13
07 March 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
His pronunciation of some English words raised some questions for me as well. For example, sometimes in English it sounds like he pronounces "th" sounds like an "f" or a "v". That's not something I would expect a Greek speaker to do.

In addition, the student in the first section pronounces the letters τ, ντ, δ and θ like θ. I don't know what her native language is. Perhaps French.

Lizzy92
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4189 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German

Message 13 of 13
17 April 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Hi Luna! I'm also new to the forum, hope you've enjoyed settling in as much as I have :)
Exciting that you're from Greece, I haven't found anyone who has Greek mother tongue yet.
Greek is top of my hit list. Things in life are a little busy at the moment to properly
start it, but knowing there are a few speakers on the forum already is comforting!

Good luck with everything :)

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version