Poland
Joined 4596 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 1 of 1
11 March 2013 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Making up for not setting up a thread here when I joined a year ago:

I am a native of Poland, studying English as my major at university.

I am Hard of Hearing, which means I have pronunciation problems in ALL languages I speak (including, but not limited to sounds such as: ź, cz, glottal stop).

I tend to think in words, and my inner voice is really talkative - not to mention it can talk in at least three languages - Polish, English and Spanish. It switches to English when I'm thinking about a story I'm going to write, especially if it gets a little risque; and to Spanish before and after a Spanish class.

When it comes to learning style, the quiz says I'm balanced when it comes to active vs. reflective (1); more intuitive than sensing (3), balanced between visual and verbal (1) and balanced between sequential and global (1).

I think the difference between SEQ and GLO should be bigger, but it's what came out...

This is a quote from Your Language(s) and Age thread

I'm in the early 20s.

Native language - Polish, albeit with pronunciation problems due to being HoH (I rarely pronounce ź correctly, I've got problems with cz, which usually comes out closer to ć or sz)

English - started at 7, continued throughout school, now studying it as my major at university, I'd say it's near native (pronunciation notwithstanding); I've passed FCE and thinking of taking CAE or TOEFL
German - started around 13, then 3 years of solid school learning until 18; I'd say it's around A2 level
Spanish - started at 18, just before starting university. 3 years under my belt and solid B1 level, with Venezuelan pronunciation of ll which I picked from my first teacher; the problem is I need to pass a B2 exam
Arabic - started at 21, a few months under my belt and a complete beginner

Tok Pisin - a semester at university, I'd say A1 level
Old English - three semesters total at university

Polish Sign Language - a few scattered words I picked up here and there and I can finger-spell my name...

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version