Joined 4196 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 4
06 April 2013 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
Hello from the United States!

I've studied quite a few languages in the past, but I never really got fluent in any of them. I suppose the closest one that I've got to was German, which I took for six years in high school.

The other languages that I took were 1 year of Russian (which I'll probably pick up in a while, as my uncle married a Russian), 3 semesters of Spanish in college, and 3 semesters of Italian that I took when I lived in Italy for three years.

I've also dabbled in French, Arabic, Chinese, and New Testament Greek, but I doubt that I could "get by" having to use any of these languages if I had to.

Right now, I'm studying Mexican Spanish. I'm going there in May, so I have an incentive to speak it as well as possible before I go. While I know that they speak English in the tourist areas, it's still a good time to practice.

My biggest problem has always been going from having a basic knowledge of a language and being able to do basic transactions like going out to eat or buying a bus ticket to having a fluency where you can actually talk to real people, read newspapers and magazines, or watch television and understand most of what they're saying. It looks like many of you have been able to get over that hurdle; hopefully being here will help.
1 person has voted this message useful

DollyGarland
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4201 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 4
13 April 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Hi Lorren,

From one language dabbler to another, nice to meet you. At least you sound like you've
quite a bit of experience in studying languages, and understanding the basics, even if
you don't speak them fluently yet.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4954 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 4
14 April 2013 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Welcome!

Good luck with your Spanish.

A lot of the space in between the basics and being fluent lies in taking the leap from
basic textbooks and finding the path for yourself. COvering all the usual grammar,
learning more vocabulary, diving into native books and movies and so on. One of the best
examples of such progress is emk's log. A history of how he got to B2 French, very
inspiring no matter what language does the reader learn.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5207 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 4
14 April 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, Lorren. I second Cavesa's recommendation of emk's log- French: Wandering towards C1. It is the best guide on this forum to how to go beyond beginner status. His advice can be applied to almost any western language.

Hope you'll find the inspiration and information you're looking for here.

Edited by iguanamon on 14 April 2013 at 5:25pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version