United Kingdom
Joined 4201 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 3
13 April 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Hi Guys,

I was on this forum a few years ago. Languages were taken over by other priorities, but
now I've decided to make them a priority, so here I am. Committed, and here to stay.

I'm from the UK. Currently volunteering in Ecuador. I learned some Spanish (self-study)
before coming here, and I continue to study it while I am here, but just by being here,
talking to the locals, my Spanish has improved immensely. I still need to study a lot
more, and I want to make the most of a month and a bit I've got left in Ecuador.

Once I return to the UK, I also need to start learning German. I want to apply for
Masters Programmes next year, and the University of Berlin is one of my top choices, so
I am thinking it won't hurt my application to be able to speak German. Besides, even if
I don't get in, I still want to learn languages.

I have already got a personal challenge to become a Polymath
(http://kaizenjournaling.com/becomingapolymath/) and one of the goals is to become a
Polyglot. The languages on my Polymath Project list are: English, Gujarati, Hindi,
Spanish, Italian, Latin and Japanese.

I'm fluent in the first three, so four more to go. And now German. I don't think it's
too ambitious a project for life-time commitment.

Current focus is Spanish, and then German.
With Gujarati and Hindi, I need to spend more time reading and writing, because I don't
do nearly enough of it now, and so I can feel some of the fluency diminishing.

I'm here, not just because of the wealth of information available here, but it's just
great to be surrounded by people who love languages, and are committed to learning
them.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6648 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 3
14 April 2013 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Welcome back to the forum

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4954 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 3
14 April 2013 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
Welcome back!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version