anethara
Diglot
England
Joined 4187 days ago

25 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language

Message 1 of 6
14 April 2013 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Not sure what to say? I'm Annie! I love languages but I'm not very advanced at all (but
I'm okay with that! I'm just a bit embarrassed being on a language forum and having a
haphazard jack-of-all trades master of none approach to languages). I studied French
for 5 years at school, Spanish for 2 years at school and Norwegian for 1 year for personal
enjoyment along with learning some Russian for a while.

I'm looking into learning a new language (let's see if I can stick to one...) and I was
looking for a language community so here I am. In an ideal world I would love to learn
Latin, Old English, Quenya or Sindarin, more advanced Spanish and Italian.

I'm looking forward to talking with everyone. :)

Edited by anethara on 14 April 2013 at 1:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5207 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 6
14 April 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, Annie! A lot of people here study multiple languages at the same time. Usually, the most successful are those who already have learned at least one second language to a high level- B-1, B-2 or above.

You will find loads of advice on learning multiple languages simultaneously here. Use the "g-search" function in the "search tab" and search for "multiple languages simultaneously". It's not an approach I personally use or would advise but we all enjoy learning for different reasons.

I hope you will find much inspiration and advice here to help you along your way. I've never heard of Quenya or Sindarin!

anethara
Diglot
England
Joined 4187 days ago

25 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Sign Language

Message 3 of 6
14 April 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Annie! A lot of people here study multiple
languages at the same time. Usually, the most successful are those who already have
learned at least one second language to a high level- B-1, B-2 or above.

You will find loads of advice on learning multiple languages simultaneously here. Use
the "g-search" function in the "search tab" and search for "multiple languages
simultaneously". It's not an approach I personally use or would advise but we all enjoy
learning for different reasons.

I hope you will find much inspiration and advice here to help you along your way. I've
never heard of Quenya or Sindarin!

Thank-you for the welcome, this forum seems wonderful and friendly so far.

Quenya and Sindarin are fictional Elvish languages created by Tolkien: so they're
impossible to learn in the sense that you can use them in every conversation in every
context as they're incomplete, but they're complete enough to study and understand. :)

Edited by anethara on 14 April 2013 at 3:05pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4954 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 6
14 April 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum!

I wish you a lot of success in any and all the languages you choose to study. Including
the Elvish ones (I have been tempted to try them as well, but I will probably earlier go
for one of their main root languages: Finnish or Welsh)

Just be careful: This forum is quite addictive :-)

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4198 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 6
17 April 2013 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Hey there. I am endlessly interested in Quenya because I was going through a list of known Quenya words and I found a few Finnish loanwords, and the grammar felt right at home hahah.

Lizzy92
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4189 days ago

12 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German

Message 6 of 6
17 April 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Hi Annie! Welcome to the forum :) I'm British and speak French and Spanish. Asking a
native speaker is always the best option for language advice or questions, but feel free
to ask me anything if you want to discuss/compare notes on learning those languages from
an English perspective!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version