United Kingdom
fluentinmandarin.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4158 days ago

6 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 1 of 2
14 May 2013 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
My name is Chris Parker, I’m 25 years old, and learning Mandarin Chinese is a great
passion of mine, as well as using languages as a platform to learn about the world. I
have been learning Chinese for six and a half years and I’m still going strong. I have
found that by getting completely involved in the language, and living and breathing it
every day, it is really not as difficult to learn Chinese as people say.

Chinese has been a major part of my study and work. I have an M.A in Chinese Studies
from the University of Cambridge, UK, and I have worked as a Chinese-English
simultaneous interpreter and translator in London. I have been back and forward between
the UK and China many times, and I now live and work in Beijing.

I am lucky enough to have dual nationality. I was born in sunny Los Angeles to British
parents, and I was raised in the south of the UK. I have been fascinated by languages
and learning for as long as I can remember. While I was at primary school, my
neighbours were Dutch and I remember asking for Dutch children’s books from their house
and taking them home to study. At 8 years old I took an after school French class, but
after I found the style too tedious, my mother asked her friend, who was a secondary
French teacher, to teach me instead. On family holidays I went to French supermarkets
and bought books in French.

I studied languages at school, but was constantly bored with the slow pace. I was one
of those students who could never concentrate in class; I just took the books home and
learnt everything in my own time. During secondary school, I got the top exam grade
after a year of Spanish, and begged the Russian teacher to give me a half hour class
every week during a lunch hour. In the end, she got too busy, but I was fascinated by
the language and worked on my own, and I still remember her delight when she saw my A*
exam grade.

At university, I wanted to immerse myself in a new language and a culture. It was a
toss-up between Arabic and Chinese, but in the end Chinese enticed me more. In summer
2006, I took my first trip to Hong Kong and Beijing, and started studying the language
that October. From then onwards, I became fascinated by the language and culture. I
made learning Chinese and other languages a major part of my life, speaking or using
Chinese every day, even when I was in the UK, and travelling to China every summer.

The message I want to share with everybody the message that fluent Mandarin is within
anyone’s reach. It takes time – even after 6 or so years I am still working to improve
my fluency. I hope other people will be able to enjoy the journey as much as I have!
3 persons have voted this message useful

wenevy
Bilingual Pentaglot
China
Joined 5022 days ago

28 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: Spanish, Mandarin*, Cantonese*, Catalan, EnglishC1
Studies: French, Italian

Message 2 of 2
02 June 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing your experience!
I am curious about your nikename.
Can you tell what does it mean? haha
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version