United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 4070 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 1 of 6
11 August 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm a 25 year old German, living in England, learning Afrikaans, blogging and vlogging
about my progress (http://theafrikaanschallenge.wordpress.com/). I use only freely
available sources. My goal is to be fluent in one year in order to complete the
challenge. I aim to set out on a road trip to South Africa when I'm done. The blog
motivates me to keep up the work on a regular basis. I enjoy the language, haven't got
any particular plans of what to do with it when I'm done studying it, but I think the
beauty of my studies also lies in the fact that it's not very commonly studied and the
challenge lies in the fact that sources out there are rather scarce and I'll have to be
creative to work my way through those messy websites that provide bits and pieces.

I hope to gain some insights and inspiration by joining language forums like these.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5075 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 6
11 August 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Theycalme_Jane wrote:
...I aim to set out on a road trip to South Africa when I'm
done.

First, welcome.

You'll like South Africa. It's by far my favorite vacation spot that I've visited.
Super friendly people, interesting culture (along with some pretty horrific history
that the country's still coming to grips with, depending where you are), spectacular
landscape and wildlife at every turn.

Although I didn't ever feel a need to use Afrikaans, I definitely heard a lot of it, so
there's opportunity for good exposure.

R.
==

Edited by hrhenry on 11 August 2013 at 9:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Syntax
Bilingual Hexaglot
South Africa
Joined 5040 days ago

28 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 6
11 August 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
Hi

I haven’t used this site in ages, but randomly got two emails about this page today. I
suppose I must have set up an email notification a few years back. I’m a native
Afrikaans speaker and I also study German (I know it’s not in my profile, but I’ve
learnt a few languages since last using this site). I’ve only been studying German for
about a month, so my level isn’t very high yet.

Anyway, I have a very good understanding of grammar in general, so if you ever need
help with your Afrikaans, you’re welcome to ask me. I know it can be difficult to find
resources to study it. :-)

Hoop jy geniet jou studies...

2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6648 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
12 August 2013 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
Also welcome from me. Afrikaans is one of the languages I can read and to some extent also understand in its spoken form, but it is definitely a problem to find sources that aren't mixed with English. I survive on Wikipedia and a limited number of media homepages with podcasts and written sections, like kyknet and rsg, but I have also tapped homepages with travelogues, tales about animal life in ZA and things like that. As for dictionaries I feel I have struck luck with the Pharos Tweetalige Skoolwoordeboed which I ordered a couple of years ago: even though this title doesn't promise much and the paper quality is somewhat dubious this book has covered all my needs. On the other hand I don't own a real grammar, just an old Teach Yourself book from the light blue era, so I may have missed a lot of grammatical quirks, but I am going to visit South Africa soon so maybe I can find something more precise in a bookstore there. However the low number of outside learners may be a problem - considering how many million Southafrikaners are said to use it daily. Language books written for native speakers are rarely relevant for learners - if you can find them at all, that is.

Edited by Iversen on 12 August 2013 at 2:29am

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5207 days ago

2241 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 6
12 August 2013 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the forum, Theycalme_Jane! When I used to live in England, I met a lot of native Afrikaans-speakers. There's an interesting research paper on the Afrikaans language in the UK: Language and Identity: The Afrikaans Community in the UK. There's also a free course available online designed by a native speaker from the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee Openlanguages Afrikaans UWM that may be of some help.

I'll be following your progress with interest. Best of luck!

Edited by iguanamon on 12 August 2013 at 2:57am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Theycalme_Jane
Diglot
United Kingdom
theafrikaanschalleng
Joined 4070 days ago

28 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 6 of 6
12 August 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi, wow, thanks for the warm welcome. First, I don't really think I'm going to need Afrikaans, but I like the sound of the language and I like how people are so much more approachable when you're showing genuine interest in their culture. I've never learnt a language and not learnt anything about the culture. (Haven't figured out how to change my language options, by the way, but I'm definitely a polyglot, not a diglot).

I have in fact found openlanguages.net and RSG myself, and am a regular listener to RSG now. I started out finding a lot of sources for my first vlog entry, but the sources aren't really very in-depth or well-maintained, so I'm basically constantly renewing the list, because information is so scattered.

I've got a very long list of bookmarks now and, instead of randomly spreading them over my posts (as I did in the beginning), I'm now thinking of doing a reader's digest over a few days or weeks and then publish that in a singular post. In my videos I'm commenting on and evaluating the sources that I found helpful on my immediate studies, so people who also want to study can get an idea of how I managed personally. So far I've gotten some really nice comments on the blog, so that really keeps me going. :-) Looking forward to learning the language and if it is indeed the case that there are no more elaborate sources out there, I can still communicate with people on the net and listen to the radio and look things up in the dictionary. I'm optimistic it'll work out somehow. :-)

Edited by Theycalme_Jane on 12 August 2013 at 12:51pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version