N_J_F
Australia
Joined 4051 days ago

7 posts - 9 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 1 of 2
04 September 2013 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Hi all

I've been lurking on the website for a while reading the various posts but I'm due to study languages at university so thought was a good time to register and introduce myself.

I studied French, German and Latin at school during the mid-1990s which were my favourite subjects along with Ancient History. Although I only studied this for half the time, I was better at German but was more interested in French which I had learnt for four years. My first trip to France was in 2006 and I was frustrated at my inability to speak the language. I had picked up a Pimsleur course and was able to converse in basic French, but I started learning French at the Alliance Francaise last July.

Personally, I found the class was moving to slowly due to the different levels of interest and ability, so this year have started using an FSI course and an old Assimil French Without Toil course - along with Anki despite being computer illerate - and feel that finally my language skills are coming along and I'm really enjoying my French. At a cost of AUS$595, I didn't feel see any benefit attending AF but might attend again in the future.

I have always loved languages and have been really inspired by some of the youtube videos by different polyglots. In the past have studied Spanish and Italian but never really stuck with them for very long, unfortunately.

Starting in October, I will be studying Ancient Greek and Latin at university by correspondence and in January I will be starting Sanskrit as part of my degree so I hope to pick up some tips from this website along the way. The Sanskrit component is over four years, and I'm looking to spread the rest of my studies over this time period as well.

Somewhere down the track, I would love to take up German, Italian and Spanish again and am considering learning Hindi towards the end of my degree. Russian is another language which I would love to learn at some stage due to my ancestry, but I think this would be some way off.

Hope to get to know some of you soon

- Nicolas
3 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4634 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 2 of 2
04 September 2013 at 6:12am | IP Logged 
Welcome! Sounds like you will fit right in.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version