United States
Joined 5325 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 25 of 28
27 September 2014 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
It sounds perfectly normal to me and conveys the message perfectly.

It does look like an awkward redundant construction so I can see the point of those who don't like it. I think it's one of those things that if you have to stop and think about it, it looks awful. If you process the meaning without really thinking about it because it is so familiar, it is fine.

"I kept having to" is very common. You could say "I told him repeatedly" but there is a different nuance to each statement.
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5171 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 26 of 28
16 March 2015 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
I thought it might be worthwhile to recover this from the Week that Never Was.

Message 28 (which includes 26 and 27), 01 March 2015 at 7:06am by Gemuse:

Gemuse wrote:
Josquin wrote:
Gemuse wrote:
Is this a passive sentence?
"The noise the children made was unbearable."

No, it's not. "The noise was unbearable" is a normal active sentence, which is combined with a relative sentence here ("(which) the children made"). A passive sentence would be something like: "The noise which was made by the children was unbearable."

What's so difficult about the concept of passive voice?

Perhaps I don't understand passive voice then.
I was under the impression the following is active:
I could not bear the noise.
But the following is passive:
The noise was unbearable.

Similar to:
I read the book; vs: The book was read.
Actually unbearable is an adjective, so I should have asked:
The noise was not to be beared.
This is passive right? And parallels the construction: Der Lärm war nicht auszuhalten

Edited by mrwarper on 16 March 2015 at 7:41pm

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5171 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 27 of 28
16 March 2015 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Messages 29-32 of the parallel thread:

Message 29, 01 March 2015 at 8:37am by mrwarper (me):

Josquin wrote:
[...]A passive sentence would be something like: "The noise which was made by the children was unbearable."

Not exactly.

Active/passive switching is done on a per clause basis -- by (inadvertently?) inserting "which" you move "was made by..." to a relative subordinate clause which is indeed in the passive.

However, with that wording, in the main clause you are still saying "The noise [...] was unbearable.", which has a predicate adjective / linking verb, so many grammarians would prefer to speak of "linking sentences" (sorry, forgot if that's the right English term) instead of "active voice", and is in fact totally equivalent to the original "The noise the children made was unbearable."

Gemuse wrote:
Perhaps I don't understand passive voice then.
I was under the impression the following is active:
I could not bear the noise.
But the following is passive:
The noise was unbearable.

Passive/active voice is all about what form of an action verb is used in a sentence. If you happily alter the wording while trying to keep the meaning and use a linking verb (f.e. to be), you'll send active/passive voice conversion down the drain.

In the active voice, simple sentences (no subordinate clauses) have the following, simple enough, structure:

<Somebody/something (the subject)> <does something/acts/takes action>.

which is intuitively "active", I think -- by <does something> I mean [any action verb in any appropriate 1st/2nd/3rd person or tense, including past, future conditional tenses, etc]. If stuff is added without altering that verb, you have a complexer sentence, but still in the active voice.

Now, please note that only some active sentences can be switched to the passive voice and back. What makes this possible is the presence of an object, so simple active and 'reversible' sentences have the following structure:

<The subject> <acts> <on the object>.

in the active voice, and

<The object> <is acted on> [<by the subject>].

in the passive. This is merely altering the wording to turn whatever the object in the active structure was into the subject of a new structure, which we call the passive.

Again, all of this works within a simple structure, and thus ignoring any subordinate or coordinate clauses. Each of those, if present, has its own structure which may again be the subject of passive/active switches.

I can go on this forever, so please tell me if that is enough. For now I'll wrap up this getting back at your example:

Active: I could not bear the noise [that blah blah blah].
Passive: The noise [that blah blah blah] could not be born [optionally: by me].
(and yes, funny wording)

Note how "bear" is an action verb. You can say [almost] the same thing using a linking verb (i.e. "The noise the children made was unbearable."), so that precise main clause can't be switched between active and passive.
----8<---- ----8<---- ----8<---- ----8<---- ----8<---- ----8<----
Message 30, 01 March 2015 at 9:02am by Gemuse

Gemuse wrote:
Thanks MrWarper for the detailed explain. That is also what I felt the passive voice.
Also thanks for pointing out that the perfect of bear is born and not beared (and for anyone reading this, the past tense is bore).

Coming back to the original German sentence, to me, the construction of
Der Lärm war nicht auszuhalten seems like:
Das Buch war nicht zu lesen.
Are both sentences correct?

Is this aktive?: The book was not to be read.

Message 31, 03 March 2015 at 12:54pm by mrwarper (me):

Don't trust me on German (isn't that another thread anyway?) :)

"The book was not to be read" is in the passive voice, because the book is read by somebody, which in the active would be "That person was not to read the book."

Message 32, 03 March 2015 at 7:47pm by Doitsujin

Doitsujin wrote:
Gemuse wrote:
Coming back to the original German sentence, to me, the construction of
Der Lärm war nicht auszuhalten seems like:
Das Buch war nicht zu lesen.
Are both sentences correct?[...]

"Der Lärm war nicht auszuhalten." is correct, however, "Das Buch war nicht zu lesen." isn't.

"The book was not to be read." could be translated into German as "Das Buch sollte/durfte nicht gelesen werden."

Edited by mrwarper on 16 March 2015 at 7:55pm

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 5004 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 28 of 28
16 March 2015 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
If what you mean is that you had to tell her a great many times, then "I kept repeatedly having to tell her" is OK,
but redundant, and "repeatedly" serves as emphasis, like emk said. Using redundancy for emphasis in this way is
considered inelegant in formal language, but it's not "wrong."

If what you mean is that you repeatedly had to execute the action of "repeatedly telling her," (e.g. every week you
work with her for one hour, and every time, you have to tell her 10 times in that hour) then you can say "I kept
repeatedly having to tell her," but this is unfavored because "repeatedly" can be interpreted as a redundant or
emphatic way to express the idea of "kept having to tell her." In this case, you should instead say

"I kept having to repeatedly tell her"

or, if you're a pedant and don't like to split infinitives,

"I kept having to tell her repeatedly."

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version