kaizen
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4902 days ago

48 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: French

Message 1 of 10
18 March 2015 at 3:56am | IP Logged 
I've looked both these words up in a couple of dictionaries and they both seem to mean "narcotics/drugs". However I came across this sentence (written by a Mexican), "No se permite consumo de alcohol ni de ningún narcótico o estupefaciente." So I'm guessing that they probably refer to different kinds of drugs. Can any of you elaborate?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

kerateo
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 5591 days ago

112 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, French
Studies: Italian

Message 2 of 10
18 March 2015 at 5:17am | IP Logged 
The Real Academia de la Lengua Española (RAE.es) has different but similar definitions (estupefacientes are morfine and cocaine and narcotics are opium or chloroform). But I can tell you as a Mexican that they are both used as fancy synonyms of "drogas". It is a feature of the Spanish language to be a little bit redundant for poetic reasons :) . You will see this construction: synonym "y" synonym, a lot in Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5171 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 3 of 10
18 March 2015 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
They refer to different kinds of drugs, just like "stimulants", "painkillers" or "hallucinogens" do.

However, other than the actual words, there's nothing language-specific, or "fancy" in that kind of construction -- when someone wants to refer to a whole wide category of things, and s/he uses a generic word that applies to all, it may lack specificity, so another approach is to mention a number of the broader subcategories in an attempt to cover the widest possible [sub]spectrum.

Of course, no approach is perfect. Think of saying 'addicted people' or 'alcoholics and drug addicts'. The latter sure doesn't cover work addicted people, for example, and we don't know if that's intentionally or not. The former, though, theoretically covers those, but many people may find it too lax to refer to them.

Edited by mrwarper on 18 March 2015 at 12:22pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4279 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 4 of 10
18 March 2015 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Pretty much nothing to say other than to back up what kerateo said. Cultured Mexican Spanish can sound terribly convoluted and pompous precisely because people try to show off their vocabulary by repeating synonyms where they shouldn't be used thus--you'll find this pattern all over the place, from the newspaper editorials to official signs in airports and public offices.

In this case, "estupefaciente" is a type of "narcótico" (essentially, a "downer" or depressant drug). The opposite class of drugs is "estimulante" ("uppers" or excitant drugs).

Edited by Lakeseayesno on 19 March 2015 at 12:36am

4 persons have voted this message useful

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4807 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 5 of 10
19 March 2015 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
I suppose that by "cult" you mean "cultured" or "refined". Regarding the fanciness of
such usage, I have to say that it depends. I agree with mrwarper in that these are
different words with different meanings. We can never be sure whether the writer wanted
to show off or be precise, so it all depends on the context. However, in this particular
case, I would consider these words as synonyms for "drugs", as it is clear that the focus
lies on refraining from consuming any "bad" substance, rather than on preciseness (IMO).

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4279 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 6 of 10
19 March 2015 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
You're absolutely right about "cult" and "cultured". I was thinking in Spanish but writing in English there. Whoops.

kaizen
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4902 days ago

48 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: French

Message 7 of 10
19 March 2015 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Thanks to all of you for the great replies. That's quite interesting what some of you have said about the synonyms - I've never noticed that before. I'll keep my out for similar instances in the future.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4954 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 8 of 10
20 March 2015 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
They are not exactly synonymes, even though general public and dictionaries (including
the most prestigious general language ones) may consider them to be. But as soon as
you are in another situation (such as studying medicine with the pharmacology exam
coming :-) ), you might be interested in looking elsewhere.

I found a nice definition here:
http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2guides/guides/caleid/in dex-fra.html?
lang=fra&lettr=indx_autr8fq9MkNqa2sc&page=9iMsQpSpNrVs.html

Quote:

¿Hay alguna diferencia entre narcótico, estupefaciente y droga?

En aras de la claridad, sí. Para mantener la distinción, deberíamos reservar narcótico
para las sustancias que tienen un empleo medicinal y que producen sopor y relajación
muscular como el cloroformo. Estupefaciente hace referencia a las sustancias
narcóticas que hacen perder la sensibilidad y producen una sensación de bienestar,
como es el caso de la cocaína. Droga es un término más amplio que incluye a los
estupefacientes, los alucinógenos, los estimulantes y otras sustancias cuyo consumo
reiterado puede crear dependencia.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version