Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 5080 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 9 of 11
30 March 2015 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
Oh well... It's being more complicated than I thought...
1 person has voted this message useful

chaotic_thought
Diglot
United States
Joined 3487 days ago

129 posts - 274 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 10 of 11
30 March 2015 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
This situation is a little similar to the gender question in some languages (e.g. German). But one trick that I learned is this: instead of asking "Is word X a na- or i- adjective or whatever", instead ask the reverse question:

"Here's a phrase written in the language that uses adjective X. Is X an i- or a na- adjective?". If you practice this question while doing your reading and listening practice, then going the other way (from X -> X-na / X-i) will become second nature.

BTW try to use authentic examples of the language for your reading practice. Using the conjugation of adjectives that happens to appear in someone's screen-name on an Internet forum is a dubious example at best!

Edited by chaotic_thought on 30 March 2015 at 12:33pm

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 5080 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 11 of 11
31 March 2015 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
chaotic_thought wrote:
This situation is a little similar to the gender question in some languages (e.g. German).

Yeah.As far as I knew, Arabic feminines always end with -ah. I was surprised last night when I read an Arabic learning book and found that there are many feminine words which don't end with -ah.

chaotic_thought wrote:

BTW try to use authentic examples of the language for your reading practice. Using the conjugation of adjectives that happens to appear in someone's screen-name on an Internet forum is a dubious example at best!

Well,I knew that "kirei" is nakeyoshi because there is someone in the first forum I ever joined whose username was "kirei_na_onna".

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version