Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3997 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 1 of 5
04 May 2015 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Could someone please explain the terms Einzelzimmer and Doppelzimmer for me? While this might seem like a rather simple matter, virtually all of the basic German courses and dictionaries that I have consulted give, what-are-for-me, the following ambiguous translations:

Einzelzimmer      = Single Room
Doppelzimmer     = Double Room

Assuming that there is really only one room involved, for me, the ambiguity resides in: (a) the number of beds in the room, (b) the size of the beds in the room; that is, single beds versus double beds, and (c) the number of persons permissible per room. For example:

Einzelzimmer / Single Room
Does this refer to one room, with one single bed, for one person?
Can it also refer to one room, with one double bed, for either one person or two persons?

Doppelzimmer / Double Room
Does this refer to one room, with two single beds, for either one person or two persons?
Does this refer to one room, with one double bed, for either one person or two persons?
Can it also refer to one room, with two double beds, for either one person or two persons?

Grazie mille!

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4478 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 2 of 5
04 May 2015 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
It's the same as in English: Single room (1 person) or Double room (2 people).
3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4466 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 5
04 May 2015 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
Einzelzimmer = a room for 1, either you don't have to or you mustn't share it, usually both
Doppelzimmer = a room for 2 (you pay for two - you can use it alone though)

It does not necessary tell you anything about how many beds there are and what kind of beds they are. You can have a "Einzelzimmer" with a double bed, but you are paying for using it alone. Your "Doppelzimmer" could be any kind of bed size or several beds supporting 2 persons (or more - but you pay for 2). Everything else is additional information that may or may not be provided.
Sometimes you find an additional category "EP in DZ" (Einzelperson in Doppelzimmer) which means you are paying for 1 person but are guaranteed to have a room that could theoretically house 2 persons (ie. you have more space). This is mostly relevant when food is included in the price - it's usually calculated like a double room but food only for 1 person.

Edited by daegga on 04 May 2015 at 11:05pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 5075 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 4 of 5
05 May 2015 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
What I usually do in situation like these is to do a Google image search.

Einzelzimmer

Doppelzimmer

It doesn't always help, but it will surprisingly often point you in the right direction.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3997 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 

Message 5 of 5
06 May 2015 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
To all,

Thank you very much for your edifying comments. Although I have travelled a fair amount throughout Canada and the United States, where "single room" and "double room" are often used, I have always been somewhat mystified by what the terms actually meant. For example, to avoid confusion, I would often request "one room for one person", to which the hotel staff might reply "I've got a double, but I'll charge you for a single" and, when entering the room, discovered that the room was furnished with two double beds. So, what was "double", the number of beds or the normal occupancy rate (that is, two person minimum charge)?

Vielen Dank!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version