forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5171 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 1 of 14
08 August 2015 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Tricky comparative grammar question, or so I like to think:

I was watching "The Golden Horde" and came across the memorable line "He who comes to destroy Samarkand shall himself be destroyed". I just love this kind of stuff :-)

However, lovely as old fashioned wordings are, the subject of the sentence "He who comes to destroy Samarkand" struck me as a bit of an odd construction. No real reason for that other than the fact in my native Spanish such structures (breaks down to Subject "He" + relative defining clause "who comes...") are often reduced to just the subordinate clause, i.e. the relative linking word plus its clause becomes the subject for the whole sentence, so we say "Quien viene/venga a..." instead of a full "Aquel que venga...".

In English we could of course say "Whoever comes to destroy Samarkand...", but I was wondering if the same simplification that is often made in Spanish would still work in English.

So, could we say "Who comes to destroy..." and call it a day or would you say that's not proper English?
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5181 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 14
08 August 2015 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
"Who comes to destroy Samarkand shall himself be destroyed." is valid English.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6542 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 14
08 August 2015 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
This implies that women are not powerful enough to destroy Samarkand ;) Though your wording is nice.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5171 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 4 of 14
09 August 2015 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
I would say that she who is nimble-minded enough to defend Samarkand ought to be powerful enough to destroy it as well, but maybe engraving stuff in stone was laborious enough to try and keep it short :)

Joking aside, thank you, rdearman. The important thing about the question is the door it would open or close, I was thinking, to other more mundane yet analogous constructions. My own one sounded well enough, but I wondered whether it did so only because I had just thought of it, hence my asking. In the interim I realized an everyday, perfectly parallel construction could be f.e. Nietszche's quote "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger", so it wasn't such a tricky question at all.

Sometimes you need to distance yourself from your own thoughts before opening your mouth :)

tbreit
United States
Joined 5160 days ago

17 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 5 of 14
09 August 2015 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
"They who comes to destroy Samarkand shall himself be destroyed"

Neutral, no?

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 6 of 14
10 August 2015 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
To me there is a small difference in meaning.

"He who comes to destroy Samarkand shall himself be destroyed." Suggests to me that the speaker knows this will happen or he is giving some sort of warning to the "he". The "he" at the beginning adds emphasis that must have some sort of meaning and is not simply surplusage.

"Who comes to destroy Samarkand shall himself be destroyed." Seems more like a general statement like "whoever comes..." or "maybe someday someone might destroy..."
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4633 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 7 of 14
10 August 2015 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
"Who comes to destroy Samarkand shall himself be destroyed." is valid English.

Agreed. It sounds even more stilted and/or archaic than the original, though.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7150 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 8 of 14
10 August 2015 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
The "he who" construction has a certain antiquity about it. There is a certain foreboding and warning implied.
There may be a tone meant to scare certain individials from doing something without ever making an attempt.

It reminds me a a bit of Willow or a piece that would have occured back then, like, say Lord of the Rings, So,
if you're wondering if it's a construct you should use in normal conversation when trying to fit in with native
English speakers, perhaps not, unless you're the sort who might speak like Don Quijote at times in your
native language.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version