CorneliusSneek
Canada
Joined 4859 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Latin, French

Message 1 of 6
06 September 2015 at 5:34am | IP Logged 
Could anybody help me translate the following into English. I'm especially having
difficulty with "dès lors que":

"Ce que le peintre imagine et ce qu'il nous révèle ne saurait être dès lors que ce corps
spirituel dont parle saint Paul au chaptire XV de la première épitre au Cointhiens, en
l'opposant au corps animal, ou, pour mieux serrer le sens immédiat du texte grec, en
opposant le corps de l'esprit à celui de l'ame."

Any help would be much appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3997 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 6
06 September 2015 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
I get the impression that there might be something "incomplete" about the citation, particularly following "dès lors que". I "Googled" the phrase and I came away something short of enlightened. However, it seems that you (we) are not alone.

dès lors que

Then again, it could be quite simple!

CorneliusSneek
Canada
Joined 4859 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 3 of 6
07 September 2015 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your response, Speakeasy.

I've double checked the citation and it's all there. What I can't decide is if the "que"
belongs to "dès lors" or to the preceding "ne" as in "ne saurait être...que." Puzzling.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6648 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
07 September 2015 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion "dès lors" is just padding without any real function or meaning. From a grammatical point of view it is a temporal adverbial, but "lors" doesn't refer to any specific point in time here. In English you could have used something like "at the end of the day", which can be used even though absolutely nothing is going to happen at the end of the day.

Try reading the sentence without "dès lors", and the structure becomes slightly less obscure: "Ce que le peintre imagine (...) ne saurait être (...) que ce corps
spirituel dont parle saint Paul (...)". So nothing is missing: the real problem is that the sentence structure is severely overloaded with superfluous elements.
2 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5353 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 5 of 6
08 September 2015 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
As Iversen said, "dès lors" doesn't function with "que" here. I don't know how this "dès lors" could be translated accurately in English but here it means something like "following what we have said"/"consequently"/"from there, (it follows that)/therefore", etc.

The beginning could then* be roughly translated "Therefore, what the painter imagines and what he reveals to us can not be anything else than this spiritual body..."

* This "then" could make a good "dès lors" I think.
2 persons have voted this message useful

CorneliusSneek
Canada
Joined 4859 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 6 of 6
08 September 2015 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, Iversen and akkadboy.

Leaving out "dès lors" the passage is indeed much less obscure, and resonates better with
the overall context. And, akkadboy, your translation is what I got too. Thanks to all for
your help!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version