Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
Stassri
Korea, South
Joined 4043 days ago

23 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Korean*

Message 1 of 7
09 September 2014 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
First, here are some rules I know (or think I know) thus far (whether to put a 'the' before a group of people / things when it is a common noun) :

* A dog is a faithful animal. - correct
* Dogs are faithful animals. - correct
* The dog is a faithful animal. - correct
* The dogs are faithful animals. - wrong, unless I'm referring to a limited group of dogs out of all the dogs in the world. (correct me if I'm mistaken)

* A mathematician is an introvert person. - correct
* Mathematicians are introvert people. - correct
* The mathematician is an introvert person - wrong, unless I'm referring to one single mathematician. (correct me if I'm mistaken)
* The mathematicians are introvert people. - wrong, unless I'm referring to a limited group of mathematicians out of all the mathematicians in the world. (correct me if I'm mistaken)

My problem is that I'm confused about when to put the definite article 'the' before a group of people which is a proper noun, I mean when it is a people, a nation, a race, a religious group, and so forth.

I did some google search and consulted a couple of wikipedia articles and here is what i've found out :

* The Korean people - 'the' is present (because 'people' is singular, as I understand it, correct me if I'm mistaken)

* The Japanese people - 'the' is present (because 'people' is singular, as I understand it, correct me if I'm mistaken)

* Koreans - 'the' is absent

* The Japanese - 'the' is present (because 'Japanese' is singular, as I understand it, correct me if I'm mistaken)

* The Chinese - 'the' is present (because 'Chinese' is singular, as I understand it, correct me if I'm mistaken)

* Americans - 'the' is absent

* Canadians - 'the' is absent

* Russians - 'the' is absent

* The Spanish people - 'the' is present (because 'people' is singular, as I understand it, correct me if I'm mistaken)

* The Spaniards / Spaniards - 'the' is present or absent (?)

* The Mongols - 'the' is present

* The Poles - 'the' is present

* Musilims - 'the' is absent

* Whites / the whites - 'the' is present or absent (?)

* Blacks/ the blacks - 'the' is present or absent (?)

I can't seem to infer a general rule from the examples above. So my question is, do you have to memorize all those instances of 'the's by heart? Or is there a rule or thumb which can be applied to this problem?

Edited by Stassri on 09 September 2014 at 6:46pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7150 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 7
09 September 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
I think you can make it a lot easier on yourself and you'll sound more natural if you try to stick to pluralized
forms when generalizing.

E.G. Don't say, "the Korean people", just say "Koreans".

Back to a few of your examples:
Dogs are faithful (animals). (animals is optional - everyone knows they are animals, just like everyone knows
the Koreans are people.

Mathematicians are introverts.

There are a few special cases, such as "the Japanese are good at mathematics". Similarly, "the Chinese are
also good at math". "The Spanish are too".

All of the other cases you sited could be simplified like:
Blacks are good at math.
Whites are introverts.

Edited by luke on 09 September 2014 at 7:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 5004 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 7
09 September 2014 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
It is very difficult or impossible to come up with general rules about this. Often both forms with 'the' and without
'the' are used, but mean slightly different things. Other times, some speakers can use 'the' while other speakers
never would. Most of your sentences are "correct," but that doesn't mean all speakers would use them. For
instance, "The dog is a faithful animal" is not wrong, but I (as an American) would always instead say "Dogs
are faithful animals" to mean the same thing.

I am doubtful of your analysis in which it usage of 'the' depends on singular vs. plural. 'The' can be used for both
singular and plural nouns, and Korean, Chinese, etc. can be either singular or plural.

That said, some rules (which may have exceptions):
1: "the" is used to clarify ambiguous words: because 'Americans' unambiguously refers to American people, we
don't use "the." But as 'Chinese' could refer to Chinese anything (food, language, etc) we must say "The
Chinese" to refer in general to the people.

2: Usually, when the name of a country's people is a plural that ends in -s, we don't use "the." Thus, "Germans,"
but "The French."

3: When referring to a past kingdom, empire, or civilization, "the" is almost always used. Thus, "The Romans"
refers to ancient Romans, while "Romans" more likely refers to people from Rome, Italy. "The Egyptians" are
ancient Egyptians, but "Egyptians" are from the modern country.

4: When referring to a "race" of people, we don't use "the." Thus, "Whites," "Blacks," "Asians."

5: When referring to a religion, we never have to use 'the.' If we use 'the,' it has a slight connotation of singling
them out, even might be a bit derogatory. So we normally say "Christians" and "Jews," but anti-semitic people
may be more likely to say "The Jews"

6: When using the word 'people,' you can use 'the' or not, but the meaning is different. "The Korean people"
means the entire Korean nation--the population of the Korean world. "Korean people" is less specific. It could
mean the entire Korean nation or it could mean Korean people biologically speaking, or it could mean Koreans in
my city.

These are only rules of thumb; you probably have to hear/read these types of expressions many times to really
get a sense for what sounds right.

Edited by robarb on 09 September 2014 at 7:35pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5253 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 4 of 7
09 September 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
I THINK it depends on whether the word is only an adjective, or is both an adjective and a noun. "Chinese" is an adjective ("a Chinese person") but not a noun (can't say "I am a Chinese" or "I saw a Chinese"). So you have to say "the Chinese people blah blah blah" and you cannot say "Chineses blah blah blah".

Now, how do you know which adjectives are not also nouns - I don't know :D
4 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5510 days ago

938 posts - 1840 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 7
09 September 2014 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
'The mathematician is an introvert[ed] person' is not entirely wrong for the general
class of mathematicians, however, it is archaic. One sees such constructions in
Victorian usage.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 7
10 September 2014 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
"Chinese" is an adjective ("a Chinese person") but not a noun (can't say "I am a Chinese" or "I saw a Chinese"). So you have to say "the Chinese people blah blah blah" and you cannot say "Chineses blah blah blah".

IMHO we can say:
The Chinese are hardworking.
The Germans are risk averse.
The French are rude.
1 person has voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4583 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 7 of 7
10 September 2014 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Stassri wrote:

* The Korean people - 'the' is present (because 'people' is singular, as I
understand it, correct me if I'm mistaken)

* The Japanese people - 'the' is present (because 'people' is singular, as I

It can't be due to the singular because it would be just as natural to say "The Indo-
European peoples". Also note that a plural verb form attaches to people, "The Japanese
people are awesome" not, "the Japanese people is awesome". None the less, this only
works if you're thinking about "The Japanese people" as a single entity.

Quote:

* Koreans - 'the' is absent

* The Japanese - 'the' is present (because 'Japanese' is singular, as I

* The Chinese - 'the' is present (because 'Chinese' is singular, as I

* Americans - 'the' is absent

* Canadians - 'the' is absent

* Russians - 'the' is absent

* The Spanish people - 'the' is present (because 'people' is singular, as I

* The Spaniards / Spaniards - 'the' is present or absent (?)

* The Mongols - 'the' is present

* The Poles - 'the' is present

* Musilims - 'the' is absent

* Whites / the whites - 'the' is present or absent (?)

* Blacks/ the blacks - 'the' is present or absent (?)

In all of these cases you can use "the" or not depending on context. For instance we
might imagine that if America gets invaded again by their northern neighbours some will
shout "The Canadians are coming, the Canadians are coming", yet we'd say "Canadians
talk funny". You often hear racist dicks say "The Muslims won't integrate", but it's
hard to imagine someone saying "The Muslims believe in Allah", it's got to be "Muslims
believe in Allah", unless about a specific set of Muslims, "The Jews in this household
believe in Yaweh, the Muslims believe in Allah".

As a previous poster said, placing "the" before religions can sound like singling them
out and be derogatory (a la my Muslim example above). This is also the case with races:
"The Blacks are ruining the neighborhood". "(the) Blacks" and "(the) Whites" is much
less common than "black people" and "white people", possible because turning adjectives
into nouns feels a bit awkward.

Edited by AlexTG on 10 September 2014 at 10:58am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version