Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Modern Hebrew: Good speaking dictionary?

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
14 messages over 2 pages: 1
robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 5004 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 14
01 October 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much, shapd! doitinhebrew.com is excellent. It seems to be accessing the morfix.co.il dictionary for
pronunciations, so one could just use that, but it's also a great help to have the two translators, the frequency,
and the thesaurus alongside.

The "niqqudizing" output looks like this:

סִינַי      Sinai peninsula
סִינִי       Chinese (person)

It's easy to use context to figure out which meaning is intended, and now I know one is sinay and the other is
sini.

Unfortunately it doesn't handle all verb conjugations, but I'll check out Dictbox. Still an upgrade over Google
Translate.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 14
01 October 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tips guys!!!

AML
United States
Joined 6770 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 11 of 14
06 January 2015 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
I'm having trouble figuring out how to pronounce words in written Modern
Hebrew. When I've studied languages
in the past that I couldn't sound out from the written form (Mandarin, Cantonese) the
Internet has been swarming with tools that would give me the sound of each word in either
phonetic transcription or sound.

Now I know there are texts with niqqud, but I don't want to rely on them too much. Is there
a good dictionary
where you can input a Hebrew word and it'll speak the pronunciation or give you the niqqud?
Ideally, it would be
able to deal with inflections, not just pronounce the base form, because I'm not very good
at figuring out the
grammatical vowel changes. I'd also like Hebrew-English definitions (or I guess Hebrew-X
where X is a major
European language would also be OK).

Does such a tool exist? Can someone recommend me the best options?

Rav Milim is your best option for this.
There is also a website called Teach Me Hebrew that
gives you a lot of what you're talking about.
2 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 5004 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 14
06 January 2015 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Rav Milim looks excellent, I only wish there were a good alternative that didn't cost $99 per year. Seems a little
steep.

Teach Me Hebrew seems quite good as well, but my problem with these small-scale websites is they simply don't
have enough content. I'll go through the 15 dialogues in about 2 days before I have to find new sources of content.
If there were, say, 300 dialogues, it would be a different story...

Sure I'm being a little greedy, but I'm still not positive these things don't exist. Morfix is all right but there could be
something better.

AML
United States
Joined 6770 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 13 of 14
17 January 2015 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
robarb wrote:
Rav Milim looks excellent, I only wish there were a good alternative that didn't
cost $99 per year. Seems a little steep.

Teach Me Hebrew seems quite good as well, but my problem with these small-scale websites is they
simply don't have enough content. I'll go through the 15 dialogues in about 2 days before I have
to find new sources of content. If there were, say, 300 dialogues, it would be a different
story...

Sure I'm being a little greedy, but I'm still not positive these things don't exist. Morfix is all
right but there could be
something better.

If you are dealing with Hebrew really often, then Rav Milim is worth it. You can't reasonably ask
for a great product for free. You can put in any word, and it will give you the nikkud. It's the
best out there.

And I'm guessing you would want those 300 dialogues for free, too, right? You are correct in
labeling yourself greedy. I'd add cheap as well. ;)

I'd also suggest you check out LearnHebrewPod, but I'm
guessing you'll just complain that there isn't enough free content.

Sometimes you have to spend money. Especially for rarer languages like Hebrew.

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 5004 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 

Message 14 of 14
18 January 2015 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
Haha, of course I know I'm not entitled to a great product for free. But there are a lot of great products for free out
there, so it's only natural to try and seek them out and take advantage.

I certainly do pay for language materials when they are better than the free alternatives and reasonably priced.
Unfortunately Hebrew is not that high a priority for me. If it were, I might be willing to spend what it takes to get the
best things. But, $99 per year for a dictionary? Call me cheap, but no matter how good it is, that's out of
my range. I would pay $99 for it total.

And, if you're curious, for 300 of those dialogues I'd probably be willing to pay about $10-20. Which is 2-3x the
price of a typical ebook.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version