Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 10
30 September 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I have recently been paying attention to English pronunciation [american/british].

One obvious fact that I have been noticing is that t is often pronounced very close to "ch", and similarly with d.
Eg, "I'll train you" -> "I'll chrain you".
"What do you mean" -> "Wha jchu you mean?"

I pronounce T as a distinct T and D as a distinct D, so this is a bit difficult for me.

Any other English learners have this issue?

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4854 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 2 of 10
30 September 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
You're right in both cases, and sometimes people write "whachu talkin bout?" in comics and such.

Since I've lived outside the USA for about 14.5 years now, I notice more odd things about the American accent every time I visit. Some Americans slur almost every word (sort of like "I'll shrain you"), and some just drop consonants all over the place ("draw consonance aw or the play"). Tha's jus wunnerful. A few months ago I heard a stewardess talk about the landing procedures and it was like she just couldn't say consonants.

The other issue with American English is that a pure vowel just doesn't seem to exist, one of the reasons American accents are so strong in other languages. Every single vowel seems to become a diphthong. I didn't notice it when I lived there, of course, because it just seemed normal. Now when my children watch the Disney channel, I cringe a little when I hear the American kids talk to their dee-ad (dad) and maum (mom) about schoo-ul.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 4027 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 3 of 10
01 October 2014 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Huh. I thought "I'll chrain you" was how the Brits also said it. I say this because this particular sentence was spoked by Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow, and I thought "oh, so thats how the Brits also say T".

I've been trying to identify what makes some of the Indian accents so jarring, and the other Indian accents nice (to my ears). The hard Ts and Ds are one factor, so I thought maybe a T is supposed to be a ch.

I should perhaps get Assimil English (British Version).

Edited by Gemuse on 01 October 2014 at 2:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4284 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 4 of 10
01 October 2014 at 6:40am | IP Logged 
Off the top of my head, where I'm from (Central Alberta), "t" seems to become "ch"
before "r" and also before "u" even when it's pronounced as a schwa, but not when it's
pronounced like the "u" in "cut" (so a word like "tuck" isn't pronounced "chuck").

Chrick, chrap, achractive, cenchral, etc.

Nachural, facchual, acchual, etc.

The exception to this rule is when "tu" is at the beginning of the word, in which case
you can choose between two pronunciations for a limited number of words which are more
commonly pronounced "tu":

Tulip or chulip, tuesday or chuesday. (Other words like "tutor" or "tube" are
generally pronounced "tu" in my part of Canada.)

The same rules apply to "d". Remember, "adult" isn't pronounced "adjult" because it's
pronounced with the "u" of "cut".

Djrain, djrape, djrop, etc.

Edjucate, adjulation, etc.

Just like "tu", "du" at the beginning of a word isn't commonly pronounced "dju" except
for a limited number of words (only one I can think of in this case):

During or djuring. (Never heard "djuke", "djuel" or other such pronunciations in my
part of Canada before.)

There might be more rules, but I can't think of them currently.

This is similar to "t" and "d" becoming "ts" and "dz" respectively before close front
vowels in Quebecois French (the variety of French I decided to learn). Once I figured
out the general rules that governed this change, I was able to look at my vocabulary
and make the needed adjustments. At a certain point, it became natural, and now I
don't even think about it because "ts" before "i" just sounds and feels right.

Listening for specific contexts where the sound changes and noting them down could
help you in finding patterns in the dialect of English you're learning. Once you've
figured out some rules, it's just a matter of practising and making it a habit.
4 persons have voted this message useful

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 5004 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 10
01 October 2014 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
In General American t->ch only occurs before r or ur
so: I'll /chrain/ you
but never: that's /choo/ bad

although the latter is a common mistake by Brazilians, where t->ch occurs before i and they don't have the
normal English aspirated t.

There are lots of different accents in Britain, but I think it's often similar to GA. There are many accents in Britain
where ty -> chy, as in: I don't know the words to that /chyune/
Conversely, the r-rolling accents of e.g. Scotland do not have t->ch. However, this is entirely predictable: the
transition from ch to rolled r is so awkward that such a phonetic situation would be extremely unlikely to arise in
any natural language.

Edited by robarb on 01 October 2014 at 6:44am

3 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4583 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 10
01 October 2014 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
You'd probably find the book How To Do Accents interesting. It shows all the features you need to listen out for when learning to do an
accent in English.

Edited by AlexTG on 01 October 2014 at 8:52am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 10
01 October 2014 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
I am pretty sure palatalised vowels influence the consonants t and d, but I'm not sure if
the result is always CH or a more lighter variant of the palatalization - I see it as
some sort of assimilation phenomenon.
1 person has voted this message useful

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5253 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 8 of 10
01 October 2014 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
I think we're talking about the Yod-coalescence?

I was told to "chune" into radio stations when I lived in Australia many years ago, but recently I'm back, and they're telling me that the following program is for "ma-TOO-a" viewers only. (tune, mature)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version