10 messages over 2 pages: 1
Scotty87
Australia
Joined 3560 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: German

Message 9 of 10
31 January 2015 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
This is pretty interesting actually. I didn't even realise that I did it until I stumbled across the bit about Yod-
coalescence in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English
I'm not sure whether everyone does it, but it is also very common in Australian English.

smallwhite wrote:
I think we're talking about the
Yod-
coalescence
?

I was told to "chune" into radio stations when I lived in Australia many years ago, but recently I'm back, and they're
telling me that the following program is for "ma-TOO-a" viewers only. (tune, mature)

That's odd, I don't think I have ever heard it pronounced "ma-TOO-a" before in Aus; looks more like an American
pronunciation. I tend to pronounce it like "ma-chyu-a".
1 person has voted this message useful

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3934 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 10 of 10
31 January 2015 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
I'm not sure what exactly is taught when teaching English so I don't know what the "standard" is--I speak "Californian" and have been amazed at how people from West Virginia, Boston and the upper north-east pronounce words. In some of our reality tv-shows featuring just regular people, I've noticed more of a tendency to provide subtitles because of they way they speak--which certainly wouldn't help a language-learner.

I've heard the examples everyone was giving--on tv and such but other than one I've not heard them here.

"what" and "what are you" are here "wot" and "wotcha" pronounced wutcha
"did you" is commonly heard as "didja".

Both are considered slang.
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version