United States
Joined 5263 days ago

89 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Gulf)*, English

Message 1 of 4
19 December 2014 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
Greetings,

I'd like to know which preposition to choose in this context:
I teach Physics (in-at) the college of sciences.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4478 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 2 of 4
19 December 2014 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Use 'at' (e.g., "I teach physics at college").

If you were referring to a place you would use 'in' (e.g., "I teach physics in Australia").

BTW: "college of sciences" doesn't sound like a proper English phrase. If it's a proper name you could capitalise the words "the College of Sciences" or you could say "a science college".

Edited by patrickwilken on 19 December 2014 at 5:25pm

robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 5004 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 3 of 4
19 December 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken's answer is not wrong, but in case you want more details and less restrictive prescriptions: it is
also acceptable to say "in the College of Sciences." For example, a little Googling shows that Texas A&M
International University greets its new professors with "Thank you for choosing to teach in the College of Arts &
Sciences at TAMIU."

This "in" usage is usually only used, however, when "College" refers to a part of an institution, such as the
College of Sciences or the School of Business within a larger university. If "College" refers to the institution itself,
then it's much better to say "I teach at X College" and not "I teach in X College."

These nuances are one of the last errors to disappear in advanced learners if they do at all, as there's no obvious
pattern and you just have to hear it thousands of times. People will get the meaning either way.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4478 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 4
19 December 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
'In' has the sense of enclosure, while 'at' refers to a point. To make this clearer try replacing 'in' with "within' in the sentence.

I assume that's the meaning Texas A&M is getting at when they use "Thank you for choosing to teach in the College of Arts & Sciences at TAMIU."

The IN in the above sentence emphasizes their membership of the college (i.e., they are literally within the college). If you used AT it would put the stress of the meaning in the sentence on the place they work, not their membership of it (i.e., College of Arts & Sciences at TAMIU).

Generally you want to emphasize where you work, not your membership of the institution, but as robarb says both are acceptable.

I am not 100% sure, but I think the default is to use "at", unless you specifically want to emphasize that the person is "within" the institution.

"I teach AT Harvard" implies that the place where I work is Harvard.

"I teach IN Harvard" implies that I am a member of the Harvard faculty. However, you are generally a member of a specific department/faculty so generally you would qualify this, and so it would be better to write something like this: "I teach in the faculty of law at Harvard University".

Edited by patrickwilken on 19 December 2014 at 8:48pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version