Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
Franz_but
Czech Republic
Joined 3563 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 2
02 January 2015 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
My wife is a native Russian speaker. I asked her to teach me for she has extensive
teaching experience. We started last year (really roughly 10 months ago. Not that "last
year" joke) but it is very difficult to learn anything at all. I can't see any progress
when learning with her and I'm not sure why. The only progress is when I learn by myself
or with someone else.

Anyone having similar experience?

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 4089 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 2
02 January 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I've had a Tagalog-speaking spouse for 12 years. I started learning Tagalog last spring, and I do almost all of my
learning on my own or with a Skype tutor. Once in a while I'll ask my husband for clarification, and we often chat for
a few minutes, but our English-speaking patterns are firmly established, and very hard to change! For the most part,
a native speaker is NOT the same as a language teacher. Would you be able to teach your wife English if she didn't
speak it yet?

I'd say - use your wife for inspiration, and for informal practice, but learn on your own or with a talented teacher.
3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version