Hideout
United States
Joined 4738 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Japanese, French

Message 1 of 3
09 February 2015 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I met a russian girl the other day and she called me 'honechka' (I think that's how you
would transliterate it.) I've tried looking it up in slang dictionaries but can't find
it. Anyone know what it means?
1 person has voted this message useful

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3837 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 2 of 3
10 February 2015 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
...a guess, but maybe it's making fun of the word "Honey?" As in, how you'd affectionately call someone?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 3
10 February 2015 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I concur with the above poster. That seems likely (I can't seem to think of any word
in Russian that's used as a term of endearment that starts with хон-).

Keep in mind that in Russian people often tend to use diminutives with friends, people
they know, or to be sweet/polite (even in order to flirt). I do not know the context
but I would assume this word is being used in a flirtatious manner, or at least to
express some kind of cuteness/endearment.

It's common to use first names for this, but you can equally use animal names or even
some other weird things to address people - for example, there's stuff like рыбка,
ласточка, гугусик, зайчик, etc. I know someone that calls me Журавушка (little crane
bird) and all of its varieties. It's simply a sweet way to address someone.

The -очка/ечка/ушка suffixes often have this connotation of cuteness or sweetness. I
only use them in more intimate contexts, but I call one of my friends "совушка" (сова
means owl). A girl named Анна I would address normally as Аня (Ань if calling her
directly)
but if I know that person well I may say Анечка instead.

Edited by tarvos on 10 February 2015 at 11:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version