Kampernaut
United Kingdom
Joined 5327 days ago

38 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 1 of 6
16 February 2015 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
As part of helping me to get started learning Italian, I'm trying to prepare a short script to introduce myself
and explain why I'm learning the language. This is what I would probably say in English:

"I believe it is polite to try and speak the native language of any country you visit rather than to expect
everyone to speak English."

Google translate comes up with:

"Credo che sia educato per cercare di parlare la lingua di un paese che si visita, piuttosto che aspettarsi che
tutti parlano inglese."

I understand Google translate can sometimes be a bit dodgy. Is this what I should say in Italian or could it be
improved?

Thanks

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 6
16 February 2015 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
I think your question is better posted on a site like iTalki where you can put this
phrase in your notebook and someone will answer it for you.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kampernaut
United Kingdom
Joined 5327 days ago

38 posts - 54 votes 

Message 3 of 6
16 February 2015 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks tarvos, I'll do that.

My apologies if I'm trying to make inappropriate use of this forum.

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 4035 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 4 of 6
19 February 2015 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
Credo che sia educato per cercare di parlare la lingua di un paese che si visita,
piuttosto che aspettarsi che
tutti parlano inglese.

- CREDO CHE SIA EDUCATO CERCARE DI PARLARE LA LINGUA DI UN PAESE CHE SI VISITA, PIUTTOSTO
CHE ASPETTARSI CHE TUTTI PARLINO INGLESE -

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5673 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 5 of 6
20 February 2015 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
I'd say to stay away from Google translate. It's not a language learning tool. It might be good to check for words in there, but an online dictionary will be a lot better. If Google translate was perfect, it could serve to check your answers. It still would be useless as a learning tool.
The point of writing exercises is so that you think by yourself how to say things. Which tense to use, whether to put the noun in singular or plural, what form of adjective to use, etc, etc. Figuring it out is when you learn a lot! When someone or something gives you the correct answer, all that it lost! Also, when you make mistakes and the teachers sees them, they know what you have problems with and they can address them. So I wholeheartedly advise you to work it out on your own and then ask your teacher or on italki or lang8 for explanations about what you got wrong.
You also should simplify your answers so that it's easier for you to translate them into English. Don't try to talk in Italian the way you talk in English, because you're a beginner. Almost every thought can be expressed in simpler terms.

Kampernaut
United Kingdom
Joined 5327 days ago

38 posts - 54 votes 

Message 6 of 6
20 February 2015 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Thanks for that excellent advice pesahson. I intend to follow it.

I've only just started with Italian and you're right, I was being too ambitious with my sentence. I even used
poor English too.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version