kaizen
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4902 days ago

48 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
06 March 2015 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I'd appreciate some clarification on the difference in nuance between the present and present progressive. I'm not looking for highly grammatical explanations for every possible situation - I'm just looking for the general difference for most of the time.

So for example,

Como fresas.
Estoy comiendo fresas.

and

Mi hermana y yo buscamos nuestras llaves.
Mi hermana y yo estamos buscando nuestras llaves.

I realize that the first sentence in each pair can also mean to do something regularly/as a habit. So, "Como fresas." can also mean, "I eat strawberries."

But if, "Como fresas." is being used specifically to mean, "I'm eating strawberries now." is there any difference in connotation from, "Estoy comiendo fresas." or are they interchangeable?

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5290 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 2 of 5
06 March 2015 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
The distinction between the two tenses in the example sentences is essentially the same as in English.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4613 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 3 of 5
06 March 2015 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
''Peninsular informants said -está lloviendo- on seeing rain through the window, and thought that -llueve-, in this case, sounded vaguely poetic or archaic''.

A New Reference Grammar of Spoken Spanish. John Butt & Carmen Benjamin
4th edition

Edited by Medulin on 06 March 2015 at 10:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4894 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 4 of 5
08 March 2015 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
In the area where I learned Spanish, the present progressive is used in casual situations (which is almost all the time), while the present is used in formal occasions, when one means to use these tenses to imply a present action (and not a "condition or state", like the OP mentioned above).

The reason is mainly that the present sounds a bit curt or laconic, and thus somewhat cold. The present progressive sound warmer and more colloquial.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 5
08 March 2015 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
One distinction is that in Spanish the "como fresas" construction can refer to the action in the future when the "estoy comiendo fresas" can never mean anything other than "in this very instant I am speaking."

Edited by James29 on 08 March 2015 at 12:59pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version