Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5800 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 9 of 17
07 May 2014 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
As you can see above HTLAL forum renders my word formatting in a very nasty and ugly way. Even though I have replace the tabs with spaces, it keep displaying " &nb sp;". Hence, I replaced my formatting in word with the formatting in my posts.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4610 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 17
07 May 2014 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately, since we do not have a modern forum software here, we cannot have blocks of pre-formatted text (with full tabbing and spacing capabilities), as far as I can tell. The best you can do might be using underscores, but even that stinks because we have no fixed-width font available.

Edited by tastyonions on 07 May 2014 at 5:46pm

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5800 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 

Message 11 of 17
07 May 2014 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
The most important question that I wanted to ask is what happens when two vowels are next to each other in Russian. Many books have said that each vowel, which are next to each other, should be pronounced separately. However, in all the records with Russian at natural speed (courses, TV programs etc.), when two vowels are next to each other, they are pronounced as though they are diphthong.

For example

новое (underline denotes stress) sounds like novəj instead of novə'ji
Работаешь sounds like rabotəjʃ instead of rabotə'jiʃ

The only cases which I am sure of are, for example:
мой моя моё мои -> moj, mʌja, mʌjo, mʌji
её -> jijo

Can native speakers give some guidance? When I tried to pronounce the way in the way textbooks recommended(each vowel, which are next to each other, should be pronounced separately), most Russian do not understand me, but when I pronounce them as a diphthong, I am better understood. I also can listen and understand better natural Russian speech if I treat the two vowels as a quasi-diphthong in the unclear cases.

Edited by QiuJP on 07 May 2014 at 7:20pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 17
07 May 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Марк wrote:
You pronounce
both gs in a random way.

Haha! Always heartwarming to read a Марк /
tarvos exchange.

It's an exquisite example of an ad hominem

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 5001 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 13 of 17
08 May 2014 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
The most important question that I wanted to ask is what happens when two vowels are next to each other in Russian. Many books have said that each vowel, which are next to each other, should be pronounced separately. However, in all the records with Russian at natural speed (courses, TV programs etc.), when two vowels are next to each other, they are pronounced as though they are diphthong.

For example

её -> jijo

Can native speakers give some guidance? When I tried to pronounce the way in the way textbooks recommended(each vowel, which are next to each other, should be pronounced separately), most Russian do not understand me, but when I pronounce them as a diphthong, I am better understood. I also can listen and understand better natural Russian speech if I treat the two vowels as a quasi-diphthong in the unclear cases.

You are right. The vowels are merged and (if unstressed) reduced, so the final vowels are pronounced as something unclear. But it's hard to believe that the too careful pronunciation could be the cause of misunderstanding.

Edited by Марк on 08 May 2014 at 8:51am

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5800 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 

Message 14 of 17
08 May 2014 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
QiuJP wrote:

For example

её -> jijo

You are right. The vowels are merged and (if unstressed) reduced, so the final vowels are pronounced as something unclear. But it's hard to believe that the too careful pronunciation could be the cause of misunderstanding.

So if I need to speak Russian slowly, I need to reduce the vowels and pronounce the two vowels separately in the vowel cluster, is this correct, Марк?

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 5001 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 15 of 17
13 May 2014 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
You don't need to reduce vowels but you have to stress the words correctly. I think your main problem is consonants. Like ш instead of ч.

Dragon27
Diglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 4186 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 16 of 17
14 May 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP
Have you tried Luciano Canepari's canIPA
system? It's a little bit difficult, but may be very useful since it contains much more precise description of phonetics
of a large amount of languages than usual IPA.
"A Handbook of Pronunciation" deals with phonetics of 12 languages including Russian in great details. Luciano
describes the "traditional" pronunciation (which "mostly coincides with the old Moscow pronunciation" as stated in
the book) and what he called the "modern neutral" pronunciation, which seems to me more faithful to actual
speech of Russians.

Edited by Dragon27 on 14 May 2014 at 6:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version