Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 9 of 12
01 July 2014 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Im Mai letzten Jahres habe ich am Abend schnell noch Brot holen wollen, bevor die
Geschäfte schließen.

This sentence, though grammatically correct, sounds rather old fashioned. You're more likely to hear something like:

Im Mai letzten Jahres wollte ich am Abend noch schnell Brot holen, bevor die Geschäfte schließen/zu sind.

IMHO, this structure is similar to a reported speech sentence. On that day, the speaker might have said to someone else:

Ich muss noch schnell Brot holen, bevor die Geschäfte schließen/zu sind.

It wouldn't make tense to use a past tense form in the subordinate clause, because the event hasn't happened yet. When the speaker talks about this event one year later, s/he still uses the present tense, because s/he refers to that specific point in time when the stores were still open.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5728 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 10 of 12
01 July 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Random review wrote:
Im Mai letzten Jahres habe ich am Abend
schnell noch Brot holen wollen, bevor die
Geschäfte schließen.

This sentence, though grammatically correct, sounds rather old fashioned. You're more
likely to hear something like:

Im Mai letzten Jahres wollte ich am Abend noch schnell Brot holen, bevor
die Geschäfte schließen/zu sind.

IMHO, this structure is similar to a reported speech sentence. On that day, the speaker
might have said to someone else:

Ich muss noch schnell Brot holen, bevor die Geschäfte schließen/zu sind.

It wouldn't make tense to use a past tense form in the subordinate clause, because the
event hasn't happened yet. When the speaker talks about this event one year later, s/he
still uses the present tense, because s/he refers to that specific point in time when
the stores were still open.

The last lesson in the course is an Email, rather than a dialogue, which may explain
the old-fashioned language.

See, this is the kind of thing I mean, it's tricky.
The Email is explaining to her friend how she met her partner, so let's imagine that a
year later she is married and writes to another friend that, when she left the house
that day, she didn't know she would meet her future husband. I imagine she would say
something like:

Als ich das Haus verließ, wusste ich nicht, dass ich an diesem Tag meinen zukünftigen
Mann kennenlernen würde....

Please correct any mistakes in that sentence, of course. Now, even though she is,
again, referring to a point of time when the story is still open, am I right in
thinking that you couldn't use the present tense here? Could you say something like
this?

Als ich das Haus verließ, wusste ich nicht, dass ich an diesem Tag meinen zukünftigen
Mann kennenlerne...

Is this idea of referring to a point when the future is still open, something that only
applies to clauses after temporal conjunctions like "bevor"?

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Random review on 01 July 2014 at 2:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5265 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 11 of 12
02 July 2014 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
The Email is explaining to her friend how she met her partner, so let's imagine that a year later she is married and writes to another friend that, when she left the house that day, she didn't know she would meet her future husband. I imagine she would say something like:

That's exactly what I'd say. I might add "noch" (... wusste ich noch nicht ...), but your translation is OK as it is.

Random review wrote:
Now, even though she is, again, referring to a point of time when the story is still open, am I right in thinking that you couldn't use the present tense here? Could you say something like
this?

Mann kennenlerne...

You might see the present tense used in these types of sentences in informal German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5728 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 12 of 12
02 July 2014 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Random review wrote:
The Email is explaining to her friend how she
met her partner, so let's imagine that a year later she is married and writes to
another friend that, when she left the house that day, she didn't know she would meet
her future husband. I imagine she would say something like:

That's exactly what I'd say. I might add "noch" (... wusste ich
noch nicht ...), but your translation is OK as it is.

Random review wrote:
Now, even though she is, again, referring to a point of time when
the story is still open, am I right in thinking that you couldn't use the present tense
here? Could you say something like
this?

Mann kennenlerne...

You might see the present tense used in these types of sentences in informal German.

Head spinning now ha ha. Thanks for all your help. I have quite a few learning grammars
and textbooks that I use and (amazingly) none of them cover this. Somewhere in my boxes
of books I have a comprehensive reference grammar, I'm just going to have to bite the
bullet and spend a few hours digging it out. If it explains the rules, I'll post them
here.

Again, thanks for your help (and your patience).

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version