Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6812 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 9 of 14
29 June 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
If you Google "hooktop heng" (ɧ), there is some material on the Internet, for example on Wiktionary. That entry needs corrections: "Created by Geoffrey K. Pullum in 1986" is false. You find it in an IPA leaflet printed in 1967, and Prof. Pullum doesn't claim any credit in the Wiki quoted Phonetic symbol guide.

GKP says,
Quote:
may correspond to a voiceless fricative articulated with simultaneous velar and palato-alveolar friction

I don't agree with the velar part and would like to add some roundedness. It's not too far back from [c] in my mouth.

Moreover, the leaflet and the book say that the sound is "one variety of Swedish tj, kj, etc." I can't imagine the ɧ realization of those two digraphs. I use it in skj-, stj-, sj-, sch-, some sk- (e.g. in skida 'ski' but not in skala 'peel'), -xky- and probably others.

The -xky- might surprise you. There's a small village near Borlänge in Dalecarlia named Spraxkya.

Edited by Lugubert on 29 June 2014 at 5:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6854 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 14
29 June 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Lugubert wrote:
Moreover, the leaflet and the book say that the sound is "one variety of Swedish tj, kj, etc." I can't imagine the ɧ realization of those two digraphs. I use it in skj-, stj-, sj-, sch-, some sk- (e.g. in skida 'ski' but not in skala 'peel'), -xky- and probably others.

Most likely a mistake. While [ʃ]/[ɕ] (similar enough) can be used for all these digraphs (even if it would sound posh or Northern), [ɧ] can't. I've even heard non-natives say [ɧʉːv] for "tjuv"!

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4235 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 11 of 14
30 June 2014 at 7:09am | IP Logged 
In just one lesson that I did today, they had the words "kanske", "själv", and "skidor"
within 30 seconds of each other, and pronounced like this:

kanske -> "kan-sheh"
själv -> "hw'elv"
skidor -> "hwi-dour"

So it seems like a mix to me, with overlap between "sj" and "sk". I am unsure what kind
of accent this is, unless it is some neutral speech since this is audio for learning.
Notwithstanding this possibility, I am unsure how a non-native speaker should choose
between the pronunciations. Although I would guess that if one switches between
pronunciations on a regular basis, it might sound odd.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 June 2014 at 7:15am

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 4044 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 12 of 14
30 June 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
In just one lesson that I did today, they had the words "kanske", "själv", and "skidor"
within 30 seconds of each other, and pronounced like this:

kanske -> "kan-sheh"
själv -> "hw'elv"
skidor -> "hwi-dour"

So it seems like a mix to me, with overlap between "sj" and "sk". I am unsure what kind of accent this is, unless it is some neutral speech since this is audio for learning.

Was it the same or different speakers? In my Breton Assimil lessons you'll hear "zh" pronounced "z" and not at all in the same lesson, but by different speakers. I'm sure there are speakers who mix, especially if they've lived in different areas or if their pronunciation of certain words is influenced more by a particular person than their peers, etc., but I think most people pick one and stick with it unless they're modifying their speech for various reasons (like suddenly pronouncing things differently because there's an audience and the person perceives a different pronunciation to be more "correct").

As for overlap between sj- and sk-, the sj- sound actually has a myriad of different spellings beyond sj-, but they're all the same sound (and that sound doesn't usually switch around in daily speech):

sj-
sk-
skj-
stj-
sch-
sh-
j-
g-
-ti-
-ssi-

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4235 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 13 of 14
30 June 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
"kanske" was pronounced by one speaker and the "själv" and "skidor" by another. In the
"Övningar" section, however, the first speaker pronounces "skidor" as "hwi-dour",
if my ears are not mistaken. But I never knew that this sound was so commonplace. I am
accustomed to using the "sh" sound, but I practised the "hwh" pseudo-whistle type sound a
bit and it became somewhat easier with repetition.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 June 2014 at 8:51am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6854 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 14
30 June 2014 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
There are a couple of words which I always say with sh, eg. dusch (duscha etc.), lunch, tusch, show, gouache, kitsch, check, crescendo - maybe there's no coincidence that these are also loanwords. However, there are also loanwords where I'd use hw, e.g. generell, chef, chock, chans, and any -ion word.

And for those who take a short cut and use a general /sh/ for all consonants, be careful:
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%C3%B6ver_svenska_minimal a_par_mellan_sj-_och_tj-ljudet

The left column can always be pronounced with [ɧ] (or [ʃ]) and the right can only be pronounced with [ʂ].

Confusing?

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 30 June 2014 at 12:41pm

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version