Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Neen (Dutch)

Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4235 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 1 of 3
03 July 2014 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
I use the DLI Dutch Cursus, and I notice that quite frequently they use "Neen" instead of
"Nee", probably even more than 50% of the time. What is the purpose of this spelling,
because it looks to me to be even closer to the German "Nein".
1 person has voted this message useful

miertje
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4014 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 2 of 3
03 July 2014 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
It's old and formal spelling of the word "nee" and not commonly used anymore, but in some
dialects and especially in Flemish it's still used. I don't know if you use one or the
other in different situations in Flemish, or how common it is since I'm not Flemish, but
"neen" does sound like a firmer and more
emphasised "nee".

Edited by miertje on 03 July 2014 at 12:03pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4652 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 3
03 July 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
It's consistently used in Flanders, even in common speech. I would IM people from there
and they would freely type "neen".

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version