Tags: Translation | Mandarin
 Language Learning Forum : Questions About Your Target Languages Post Reply
robarb
Nonaglot
United States
languagenpluson
Joined 5004 days ago

361 posts - 921 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese, English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, French
Studies: Mandarin, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Greek, Latin, Nepali, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 2
21 July 2014 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
How would you say in Mandarin,

The structure of the [computer] program is complicated.

Or similarly,

The organization of the [computer] program is confusing.

I seem to use these concepts a lot, but I can't tell which of the many translation equivalents of structure, program,
complicated, organization, and confusing are appropriate.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4389 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 2
21 July 2014 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
[In Traditional characters]:
這個電腦程序的結構是太複雜。
Directly translated as: "This computer program's structure is very complicated". I'm using "This" to refer
to a specific computer program. "太" in front of 複雜 is for emphasis.

Similarly:
這個電腦程序的編排不清楚。
Directly translated as: "This computer program's arrangement (unclear/isn't clear)"
這個電腦程序的編排不順序。
Directly translated as: "This computer program's arrangement (not in order/out of order)"
Saying "不清楚" or unclear might be a bit vague so in the second version I used 不順序 for out of order.

[In Simplified characters]:
这个计算机程序的结构是太复杂。

Similarly:
这个计算机程序的编排不顺序。

Note: 電腦 for computer is used in Taiwan & Hong Kong, but in China 计算机 is more common.
Normally, the use of 計算機 in Taiwan & HK refers to the old handheld calculators for simple
calculations with no installed programs.

The word "organization" when translated as 組織/组织 has a different context in Chinese that it is used
for an association like "The International Red Cross" or "WTO" or to organize an event.

Hope my translation is accurate enough.

Edited by shk00design on 21 July 2014 at 5:46am

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version