mike789
United States
Joined 6272 days ago

39 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 6
22 July 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I got a copy of Paul Pimsleur's book "How to Learn a Foreign Language" from the library and was intrigued by a section where he wrote about learning pronouns. He says that in his language lab he made a tape where students had to practice using pronouns as a way of mastering them. For example "Did you give the book to Paul?" <pause for you to answer> then the correct response "I gave it to him." The idea is that if you do several dozens of these then it becomes ingrained and natural, instead of the standard grammatical approach taught in grammar & textbooks.

This approach sounds a lot like the method used in the Pimsleur program in general, and also in programs such as Michel Thomas. I am a novice learner, so I'd like to get more practice on using French pronouns. I looked on the web to see if I could find any audio files doing this, but couldn't come up with anything. I was wondering if anyone happened to know of a site with this kind of audio practice material?
1 person has voted this message useful

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4962 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 2 of 6
22 July 2014 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
You will learn pronouns with exposing yourself to the language - learning pronouns is quite easy - but the hard work starts when you need the noun gender to use the correct pronoun.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7150 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 6
22 July 2014 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
FSI Basic French has hours of this sort of drills. Because there are numerous types of pronouns, I won't try to enumerate which all lessons have them.   The Student Texts are smart PDFs with a table of contents and links to all the grammar points, so tracking them down isn't too hard. Unit 8 covers "en" and "y" very thoroughly.

Michel1020 wrote:
You will learn pronouns with exposing yourself to the language - learning pronouns is quite easy - but the hard work starts when you need the noun gender to use the correct pronoun.

This is where the FSI drills come in handy. They have a lot of le/la/les/leur/lui/vous/nous etc type drills as well. They are meant to bring automaticity, which is that you can do it without thinking, like riding a bike.

Edited by luke on 22 July 2014 at 8:29pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4854 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 6
22 July 2014 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
FSI Basic French has hours of this sort of drills. Because there are numerous types of pronouns, I won't try to enumerate which all lessons have them.   The Student Texts are smart PDFs with a table of contents and links to all the grammar points, so tracking them down isn't too hard. Unit 8 covers "en" and "y" very thoroughly.

Michel1020 wrote:

This is where the FSI drills come in handy. They have a lot of le/la/les/leur/lui/vous/nous etc type drills as well. They are meant to bring automaticity, which is that you can do it without thinking, like riding a bike.

Unit 7 also has a lot about pronouns: the use of object and subject pronouns. Here's a short set of drills, if you want to see what it's like:
https://db.tt/5Z9IuX4k

(They're not all as hard as these ones, though! I picked out the drills in the link I provided because they are particularly difficult.)

Edited by Jeffers on 22 July 2014 at 9:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5181 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 5 of 6
22 July 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:

Michel1020 wrote:

This is where the FSI drills come in handy. They have a lot of le/la/les/leur/vous/nous etc type drills as well. They are meant to bring automaticity, which is that you can do it without thinking, like riding a bike.

Yep! FSI French is really really good. And public domain.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4389 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 6 of 6
23 July 2014 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
I took French in high school ages and got back to it about 4 months ago. At this point, the kinds of
topics I can write / discuss easily in English or Chinese I still can't do with my French.

Right now I am not at the point of being able to understand even the most basic children's TV programs
in French as in English & Chinese. I frequently listen to Chinese radio discussions on politics so just
knowing a few pronouns: je, tu, il/elle/on, nous, vous, ils/elles for me is too basic. At the same time my
vocabulary is still too limited to carry on a conversation.

I found 3 learning series online:
1. "Jason's French Fast" on YouTube.
It has a lot of repetitive phrases like pronouns, days of the week, numbers and some simple dialog but
not much. It is something to consider for starters to build your fundamentals.

2. "francais authentique" on YouTube by Johan. He even has his own web-site:
Apprendre le français facile

3. Yabla French
This online series has a built-in dictionary, French captions & English subtitles. The audio has 2
settings: slow and fast you can switch.

Edited by shk00design on 23 July 2014 at 12:10am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version