Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6073 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 1 of 59
17 December 2008 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
I bought a Teach Yourself book with 2 CDs in one of the main S.Paulo's bookstores yesterday.....there was a shelf full of TY books of almost all the languages and then I decided to purchase a Norwegian book...

I wonder if someone has ever bought one single TY book and after some weeks just studying what the result has been achieved.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5660 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 2 of 59
17 December 2008 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Alvinho wrote:
I bought a Teach Yourself book with 2 CDs in one of the main S.Paulo's bookstores yesterday.....there was a shelf full of TY books of almost all the languages and then I decided to purchase a Norwegian book...

I wonder if someone has ever bought one single TY book and after some weeks just studying what the result has been achieved.

I have the Teach Yourself Swedish edition; it's pretty hard to come by anything Swedish where I'm at, so I buy anything I find in books stores. To be honest, I haven't really been using it. I did notice though (after aquiring a little bit of Swedish through a different book), that I could do the exercises alright, but only because I was already familiar with the material.

For example, a few of the listening exercises asked you to construct sentences (this was the beginning of the first chapter), but I don't think a complete beginner would know the sentence structure all that well enough to answer. The CDs are useful though, I guess.

TerryW
United States
Joined 6196 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 59
17 December 2008 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
I have a side question here:

"Teach Yourself - a doubt"

At work, I occasionally receive emails from our branches in Spain and Latin American countries where they say something like "I have a doubt for you."

Just like the title of this thread, "doubt" seems to = the noun "question" in these cases.

As far as I know, in the U.S., "doubt" never means (noun) "question," it means kind of a dis-belief, as in "I doubt that will happen."

Is it used in the U.K. like this? Why do Spanish-speaking (OK, and maybe Portuguese-speaking) people use "doubt" to mean question?

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 6042 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 4 of 59
17 December 2008 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
I used Teach Yourself Catalan, and it gives you an okay level, but I agree with Lindsay19. I feel like the explanations are a bit lacking, especially when it comes to grammar. I felt like if I didn't have some familiarity with Spanish grammar, I would have no idea what was going on. The CDs are good, though; they give you lots of dialogs and such.

TerryW,
In Spanish, una duda (and in Catalan, un dubte) is usually translated as "a doubt", but it is also commonly used in this way, to mean "a question". I can only assume it's the same way in Portuguese, but I really have no idea.

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5919 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 5 of 59
18 December 2008 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
There are a lot of words in the TY Chinese I have. A guesstimate would be around 500, probably more. There is also a lot of grammar covered, but not to a sufficient level for a complete beginner. I don't think that TY can be used on it's own to learn a language, but it is a very good complement, IMHO.

TEL

Hollow
Bilingual Triglot
United States
luelinks.netRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6378 days ago

179 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, SpanishB2
Studies: Korean

Message 6 of 59
18 December 2008 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
TerryW,
same goes for French, where its perfectly normal to say something like: " j'ai un doute sur ce point- la"

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5850 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 7 of 59
18 December 2008 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
The question isn't the doubt; rather the question is to seek an answer, and the answer will remedy the doubt.

A doubt here is an uncertainty -- I am uncertain about something.

IE
"I am unsure about something but if you answer this question I will no longer be in doubt. What is the capital of Azerbaijan?"

But I find TY very difficult to use as a main text. I've never finished a TY book.

sajro
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5835 days ago

129 posts - 131 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 59
18 December 2008 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
I find TYS to often be a bit touristy. Too many language courses turn out to be glorified, overcomplicated phrasebooks. Of the "off-the-shelf" varieties, the few Colloquials I've seen seem to have the fewest touristy qualities, but I cannot attest to their usefulness, as I've never used one.

Overall I find TYS best for the vocabulary section in the back, personally.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version