Diglot
New Zealand
Joined 5620 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese

Message 25 of 59
06 February 2009 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
The old Teach Yourself Esperanto was brilliant. You could learn the entire grammar from it, along with a few hundred words, which is enough to read magazines with. I think that was a one off though (of course, owing to the fact that it's Esperanto), I've browsed a Teach Yourself Italian, and it really is just a fancy phrasebook.
1 person has voted this message useful

samiamnot
Triglot
United States
Joined 5610 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Portuguese
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto

Message 26 of 59
16 February 2009 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
When I learned Portuguese, The Teach yourself Portuguese was the best self teach book I found. It was very helpful. I have seen some of their other books, and some of them weren't as good as the Portuguese one. I plan in the future to use some more of their books. Does anyone know anything about rosettastone(not sure how to spell it).

Dark_Sunshine
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5614 days ago

340 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 27 of 59
16 February 2009 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
I started to use Teach Yourself Romanian (that's all I could find) but it was uninspiring to say the least. I've decided to postpone learning Romanian until the Assimil course is translated into English. I also used TY German conversation, which irritated me because the dialogue was so artificially slowed down. I'm concentrating on French now, which is great because there are so many resources available! But I guess if TY is all you can get then it is, as my father would say, better than a poke in the eye wth a sharp stick. Good luck!

For what it's worth, in UK English I'd say the verb 'to doubt' means 'to disbelieve until further evidence is available'- I don't think I've ever heard it used in the way the OP has used it. But I suppose it still works, in the sense that stating a doubt would elicit either a confirmation or contradiction from the audience, which is after all the point of a 'question'...

Noir
Bilingual Hexaglot
Sweden
Joined 5605 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Portuguese, Belarusian*, Russian*, English, Spanish, Norwegian
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Armenian, Kazakh

Message 28 of 59
20 February 2009 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Teach yourself Norwegian is pretty good, I used it and finished the book before a trip to Norway and I was able to
get around. ALTHOUGH I still had a huge issue understanding people (since they talk so much faster in real life
unlike in the book).

It's super hard in my opinion to find learning resources for Norwegian so I had to use TY with assimil and I just
finished the Pimsleur for Norwegian. (in regards to Pimsleur - it's so short that you will go through it fast from what
you learned via TY. As in, you know al the phrases already. :/)

Aras
Groupie
United States
Joined 6607 days ago

76 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 29 of 59
28 February 2009 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
The old (usually, pre-90s or pre-mid-80s) TY books are excellent methods for self-study, far superior to the modern format(s) of the books, for the most part.
You can get them from used bookstores, online or off.
The entirety of the name shouldn't be discounted for the lacking of the new edition of books, as they were largely re-done completely in the late-80s/early-90s transition to the new version(s), rather than just updated as occured in the series from the 50s to the early 80s.
They (the vintage TY) aren't the be-all end-all of language self-teaching, but they are great materials on their own, let alone when compared to the modern edition(s)(the newer TY manuals tend to vary significantly book-to-book, while the previous series was uniform in format).

Edited by Aras on 28 February 2009 at 3:56am

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5724 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 30 of 59
27 April 2009 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
I have never used any TY courses but after looking at the Arabic course I might pick it up when I get to Arabic along side Living Language Ultimate Series. Question,has anyone used the Arabic course?

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5595 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 31 of 59
27 April 2009 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
delta910 wrote:
I have never used any TY courses but after looking at the Arabic course I might pick it up when
I get to Arabic along side Living Language Ultimate Series. Question,has anyone used the Arabic course?

I have not, but I would imagine they would be in MSA. I am currently using Teach Yourself Turkish. It is fantastic. It
doesn't hold your hand and give you practice on the grammar points, you have to learn them yourself, and that is
what I look for. Some people might object to that, but I sure don't.
Teach Yourself is a good series in order to reach basic fluency, but after that, you can continue into vocabulary
acquisition and immersion. I know this because I use English speakers' language materials all the time, and Teach
Yourself is the most widely available, and also how I learned Spanish (although I used it to learn Spanish in order to
go to Spain, and I spent a year there). It is a good course series, and I would suggest it to any language learner who
has taught themselves at least one other language (i.e. you have experience).

pielover24
United States
Joined 5544 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 32 of 59
28 April 2009 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
Yes, TYS Arabic is how I've been learning so far. I think it's a good course...but it goes too fast at times. I have learned a lot & I am glad but it could provide more explanation & go at a slower pace.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version