Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5388 days ago

6 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Thai

Message 57 of 59
08 September 2010 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
I'm a fan of the older TY books in general. I find the newer ones boring. But maybe that's because I'm older than a lot of the writers here.

In particular, I like the old TY Irish, Swedish and Spanish. The old TY Arabic, on the other hand, is a true masterpiece of obscurity, and I would not recommend it to anybody unless they were looking for a perfect example of irredentism and bowdlerization.

Out of the new ones, the one I can unqualifiedly recommend is TY Thai, which is really a surprisingly thorough introduction to the language, especially the writing system. TY Urdu is also very good - better than the old one, which was little more than a phrasebook.
1 person has voted this message useful

CommanderK
Bilingual Triglot
Israel
melearninglanguages.
Joined 5029 days ago

24 posts - 25 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 58 of 59
11 September 2010 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
samiamnot wrote:
When I learned Portuguese, The Teach yourself Portuguese was the best
self teach book I found. It was very helpful. I have seen some of their other books, and
some of them weren't as good as the Portuguese one. I plan in the future to use some more
of their books. Does anyone know anything about rosettastone(not sure how to spell it).

Rosetta Stone is one of the worst teaching methods that I saw.

arturs
Triglot
Latvia
Joined 5111 days ago

278 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, Russian, English

Message 59 of 59
11 September 2010 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I tried TYS Finnish and Dutch. My experience is not the best with them. Too much phrases. If I wanted phrases, I could by a phrasebook of the same language 2x cheaper with 2x more content (although no CD). Yes, there is some grammar, some exercises, but no - that's just didn't fit my learning style. I got another book on Dutch, and although, it does not have a CD, it gives me more Dutch then the TYS book and CD, because the book I got, has fully explained grammar with examples, a small vocabulary (15-20) words per lesson, reading, translation exercises and exercises on grammar. Combined with Michel Thomas Dutch Foundation and Advanced, Dutch news sites and radios, this books will give me much more. Don't ask me, what's the book called, because it is in Russian and would be only good for people who are native fluent in Russian like me.

Although, some say TYS is good for them, my experience is not the best - I just don't like it. Period.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version