tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5387 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 35
29 July 2010 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
johntm93

Many thanks for that. I was about to search the forums for instructions, but that saved
me some work!

Jim
1 person has voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5167 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 10 of 35
29 July 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
No problem.

This is how I use it:

1. Listen to audio

2. Read English in my head while listening to audio

3. Read German w/o audio, compare it to English translation

4. "Shadow" it (Like Prof. Arguelles method, but I don't walk while doing it)

5. Read German text (no audio), see if I understand it

6. Listen to audio while reading English aloud

7. "Shadow" without walking again

8. Listen to audio to see if I understand.

9. a. If I don't understand the audio, I go back and compare German to English
   b. If I do understand it, I may shadow again if there's a tricky word or something in there I need to get

10. Read notes/comments if I haven't already

11. "Shadow" the exercises, read the German and translate it (then check translation)

12. Add all sentences (normally not the exercise sentences) to Anki (with the notes/comments if they are important)

I'm only in the passive stage, but I like how I've been going through it. I haven't done any review, but yesterday I listened to the audio for every lesson I've done and I understood most of it.

Of course, make your own method. Start with the instructions from Dutch with Ease, then change it how you will.

psy88
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 11 of 35
30 July 2010 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
You have gotten really good advice and guidelines from the previous posters. Let me just add one idea: don't try to analyze the learning process. Follow the directions as offered by the other posters here (and given in the book itself)but do not get caught up in trying to over-think things. As they say "just do it" and you will be quite satisfied.

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5387 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 

Message 12 of 35
30 July 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Many thanks for all the advice.

I'm looking for the postman every day now. Can't wait to start!

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5122 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 13 of 35
30 July 2010 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
Jim. You should do pretty good with this book, just stick with the instructions that
the other guys have posted above, and like John has mentioned put the phrases into
Anki, or some other flashcard program, I use the one from transparent [ byki ]

It's a good program. I create lists of about 20 phrases in each, I even put the
exercise phrases in if I am not sure about them. The Assimil with the audio really
sticks in the mind if done with a good amount of repetitions, but if you put the
phrases into a flashcard program and practice them [ every day ] then there is NO
chance of you forgetting them.

I am on lesson 27 at the moment, last week before I started putting the phrases into
the flascards I did a little test:

I went back to various lessons and had a look at the English text, I could translate
most of them [By thinking a lot ] the constructions on my translations into Spanish
were wrong on a quite few of them.

Now after creating four lists of 20 phrases in the flashcards [ so far ] I was drilling
the first list for a couple of days, on the third day I did not drill the flashcards
before opening the Assimil book, this time I looked at the various lessons at the start
of the book and without thinking to much, I translated them into Spanish, then checked
them, this time everyone of them was right..!!

I think the Assimil Spanish with ease is a great method, but used with a flashcard
program it just makes it even better.

The good thing about putting the phrases into a flashcard program is: after practising
them over and over again you will have no problems translating them in the book, plus
the phrases actually stick in your mind so you can use them in conversation as well.

Give it a try Jim, It really is a good method..!!

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5387 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 

Message 14 of 35
12 August 2010 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
Arrived today, and lesson one under the belt. Nothing new for me in this lesson, but it
will be good to have easy ones to get used to the program

Jim
2 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5167 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 15 of 35
13 August 2010 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Good luck, even after a few lessons you'll be amazed how much you can recall. After two weeks away from any German, I could recall Assimil German sentences with almost 100% accuracy (missed a couple of words).
Or course, taking even a one day break isn't advisable, but sometimes you have no choice.

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5387 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 

Message 16 of 35
16 August 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I’m a few days in to Assimil and I’m enjoying it. However it does seem to me that it is a bit “all over the place” It doesn’t follow any logical progression through the language. The very first lesson contained the phrase “Tenia ganas de verte”. This phrase uses a past tense, a personal pronoun, an infinitive and a phrase that is not a literal translation.

Fortunately, I am not a beginner, and this phrase didn’t cause me any problems, however it might have done if I was. My thought is that Assimil looks to be a great course, and very suited to my level of learning, but I can see how I might have struggled if I was a complete beginner.

Are the “holes” that Assimil seems to leave filled in later in the course? For example, will I be introduced to tener, ganar and ver as separate verbs and find out how they came together to form “Tenia ganas de verte”

Perhaps I am getting too hung up with grammar. I like the idea of learning by assimilation, but perhaps I am so accustomed to learning the “old fashioned way” with grammar rules and tables of conjugations.   

Jim   

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version