Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6623 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 25 of 35
22 September 2010 at 11:09am | IP Logged 
I'm doing this too now. I read an Assimil lesson, read the notes, try the exercises, all
that. Then I pick all the interesting new content and make Anki flash cards
(phrases/sentence though, not single words). In many cases just typing the card is enough
for me to learn it. In almost all cases I know it after 2-3 revisions.
1 person has voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6515 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 26 of 35
22 September 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
How do you use the flashcards with Assimil? Do you use them in a passive (L2-L1) or in a active way (L1-L2)?

Do you put the Assimil sentences' audio in one of the sides of the cards or you only write them?

Edited by slucido on 22 September 2010 at 11:21am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5851 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 27 of 35
22 September 2010 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
daveyboy wrote:
Yes that's true Cainntear, you will learn the underlying structures which is great, but
what happens when one gets to that point in the book and has to go back to the start to
translate..? [ without looking at the Spanish ] and really struggles to translate the
phrases..?

If you struggle to translate without memorisation of the material, that would suggest that the Assimil methodology is flawed.

Translation of something you have memorised the translation for is trivially easy, and isn't actually "translation" at all.

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6623 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 28 of 35
22 September 2010 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
How do you use the flashcards with Assimil? Do you use them in a
passive
(L2-L1) or in a active way (L1-L2)?

Do you put the Assimil sentences' audio in one of the sides of the cards or you only
write them?

I use them passively. I haven't reached Assimil active phase yet, I'll see what I
decide
then.

And I don't use the audio in the flash cards, but I'm learning an "easy" language so I
don't need it.

Edited by numerodix on 22 September 2010 at 11:31am

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5122 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 29 of 35
22 September 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
>>Absolutely, I have no desire to learn grammar for it's own sake. I am more than
happy to be picking up the ability to use Spanish. If I learned to use the language I
would be happy if I never learned any grammar rules.

If people are able to, could thet address the particular queries that I mentionned
above, about the fact that I am not sure that I am picking up everything as I go along.

Thanks

Jim <<

Hey Jim, There are so many Romanians / Polish / Bulgarians and Russians that live over
here in Spain, If you gave most of these guys a Spanish grammar book and said " here
can you explain this to me ? they would just look at the book and not understand
nothing except maybe reading the instructions..!! But, talking / listening to them you
will find that they speak fluent Spanish, with no problems at all..!!

The Romanians pick the language up so fast because theirs is a romance language like
Spanish, but for the others their language is very different like Ours.

How do they do it..? Listening, repeating and talking, It becomes easy for them because
they are surrounded by the Spanish every single day. For you it will be more difficult
because your in England.

Jim, stay with the Assimil book, it really does work mate, but if you want add the
phrases to a flash card program as well, plus buy some audio books and listen while
reading the story.

Have you heard of the Lola Lago Detective audio books ? They are really good because
they are made for people that study Spanish, there are seven in the range, they have
them in levels: A1 / A2 / A2+ and B1. Look in your local book shop or on Amazon.

Grammar is Important if say you were doing a professional job, but for the average joe
bloggs on the street, I don't think you need to get deep deep deep in to it.

I know people that have studied Spanish for over 3 years In England with their grammar
books, later they have come to Spain [ Talking on the Street ] Like : Hola...err errr
hum...¿como estás ? hum hum hum.. puedes ayudarme... errrr.. Then the person replies at
600 mile an hour and they can´t understand a single thing..!

Why..? It´s because they have had their heads deep inside the grammar books, with
phrases you would hardly use on the streets in Spain.

Try the Audio books Jim, Listen / read along / listen without reading / just read out
loud. Along with the other Methods you will get there mate.
3 persons have voted this message useful

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5122 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 30 of 35
22 September 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
daveyboy wrote:
Yes that's true Cainntear, you will learn the
underlying structures which is great, but
what happens when one gets to that point in the book and has to go back to the start to
translate..? [ without looking at the Spanish ] and really struggles to translate the
phrases..?

If you struggle to translate without memorisation of the material, that would suggest
that the Assimil methodology is flawed.

Translation of something you have memorised the translation for is trivially easy, and
isn't actually "translation" at all.

Yes Cainntear, and the method that has made it more easy for me [ and some others on
here ] is by adding them to the flash cards.

If there is a method that will speed up my progress I am going to use it for sure..!

Give it a try mate.

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5122 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 31 of 35
22 September 2010 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
numerodix wrote:
I'm doing this too now. I read an Assimil lesson, read the notes, try
the exercises, all
that. Then I pick all the interesting new content and make Anki flash cards
(phrases/sentence though, not single words). In many cases just typing the card is enough
for me to learn it. In almost all cases I know it after 2-3 revisions.

What do you think of adding / using this method Numerodix..? is it working for you
mate...? I'm sure it is.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5405 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 32 of 35
22 September 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
I have long thought about entering Assimil vocabulary on index cards, but I have concluded that it is just too much effort. I did a test and it took me about an hour to insert the words from one of the middling lessons.

Instead I review random lessons in both the passive and active phases (translating in the active) and go through a lesson 3 or 4 times in the active phase until I can translate it without much pause for thought.

Still, whatever works....

Edited by Elexi on 22 September 2010 at 3:19pm

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version