Tags: FSI
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5058 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 1 of 4
04 September 2010 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I seem to remember a thread on this site which mooted the idea of bringing all the 'open source' language materials together in one location. I believe one idea was to convert the FSI materials to HTML and clean up the audio etc but now I can't seem to find the thread.

My question is did this project ever start ?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5274 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 2 of 4
09 September 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
hi,

I'm porting the russian FSI course in the <<docbook>> format (as the DLI russian): this format makes easy the translating using TMX (translating memory) and XLIFF. It's also perfectly portable on windows, linux and OSX.(it's only a xml file). The docbook format is a <<tag>> format: it is possible after tagging to extract information like: all the phrases of the exercices and generate an anki file; and the same with the vocabulary ....

The docbook format can generate : html, rtf, pdf files in one command.

At the moment, I'm working on the OCR part of the pdf files and building the framework.

Very soon, I'll put the first parts on my server :)

If you need more information on the process, I can explain and gives links.

Best regards,

Eric!
-----

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5058 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 3 of 4
09 September 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Eric

That is great. Yes. I would like to know more, please.

I am not sure yet which of the FSI materials I will work with next as I am torn between starting Swedish through the FSI materials or going with Pimsleur Danish. I know, I know I should know my desires but there is a trip in the offing !

I was considering having the material retyped as that gets a better 'first pass' result than OCR especially with some of the FSI material. I would be interested in your views and experiences.

Feel free to PM me.

Adrian

CaucusWolf
United States
Joined 5111 days ago

191 posts - 234 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Japanese

Message 4 of 4
09 September 2010 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
This is an interesting Idea. Would be awesome if someone did this for the MWA course.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version