vykis92
Groupie
LithuaniaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5155 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 6
15 September 2010 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Hello, I would consider my Spanish at an intermediate level and I need new resources. Could somebody tell me what levels these courses are?
*Teach yourself improve your Spanish.
*Living language Spanish beyond the basics.
*Living language ultimate Spanish advanced.
    THX.
1 person has voted this message useful

vykis92
Groupie
Joined 5155 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 

Message 2 of 6
17 September 2010 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
who knows?

vykis92
Groupie
Joined 5155 days ago

68 posts - 71 votes 

Message 3 of 6
21 September 2010 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
who?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5405 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 6
21 September 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
I can't tell you about the Spanish ones but I can give you a run down on the French equivalents. Based on Didier's Reuissir le DELF/DALF series of exercises books I think the following:

*Teach yourself improve your French (Now relabeled as TY Perfect Your French) - based on the dialogues, speed and grammar content they are at the B1/B2 border. Certainly not the C1 advertised in the current edition. Like most TY books it covers the point and then swiftly moves on without re-using it over and over again, still I think it is well written.
*Living language French beyond the basics - I would guess A2, perhaps touching B1 - its a good little book to carry around with an MP3 player, however.
*Living language ultimate French advanced - I would also rate this also as a B1/B2 border course - a bit more substantial than the TY book and goes deeper into B2 territory.

For what its worth, I do not consider that Assimil Using French (or Using Spanish) is more than a B1/B2 book, despite its C1 advertisement.

Of course, the above is my opinion and others may disagree.

Edited by Elexi on 22 September 2010 at 9:04am

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5215 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 6
22 September 2010 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
I have been following this thread in hopes someone else would chime in on these Spanish courses. I will tell you what little I know about these. I checked out the LL Ultimate Spanish Advanced out of the library to just look through it and listen to some dialogues to see if I could do it next. I found the dialogues to be much more advanced than the Assimil With Ease series. I am currently planning/hoping to do the LL Ultimate Advanced when I get to the point where I feel I can do it. I recall there were several reviews on Amazon about the Ultimate-Advanced and also the Beyond the Basics. The descriptions of Beyond the Basics I have read on Amazon and other places makes me wonder if it is the exact same product as the Ultimate-Advanced, but with a different name. If anyone knows anything about Beyond the Basics and if it is different than the Ultimate Advanced edition I would be interested in hearing what Beyond the Basics is like... and if it is "harder" than the Ultimate-Advanced... or how it differs.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5405 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 6
22 September 2010 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
I have both the LL Ultimate Beginner-Immediate, the LL Ultimate Advanced and the Beyond The Basics books for French, German and Italian (they were all remaindered recently in the UK, so I picked them up cheapish and I am a sucker for language courses). In those languages the Ultimate series contains different dialogues to the BTB series. I would say the BTB series falls more in the middle to end chapters of the Ultimate beginner-intermediate level rather than the LL Ultimate advanced series.

The LL Drive Time series do contain the same dialogues from the LL Ultimate Beginner-Intermediate series.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version