Joined 5851 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 9 of 30
17 September 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
I doubt the article disappeared for any reason more sinister than an old server being switched off.

You can still read the cached page on archive.org.

Oh yes, there it is. Maybe it disappeared and came back in a different place. Still doesn't explain why.

Archive.org is an internet library and saves webpages for future reference rather than letting them disappear.

It's quite normal for websites to clear out the old pages every once in a while, just like we bin old books and notebooks when we don't have any use for them any more.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6961 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 10 of 30
18 September 2010 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Chris wrote:
Cainntear wrote:
I doubt the article disappeared for any reason more sinister than an old server being switched off.

You can still read the cached page on archive.org.

Oh yes, there it is. Maybe it disappeared and came back in a different place. Still doesn't explain why.

Archive.org is an internet library and saves webpages for future reference rather than letting them disappear.

It's quite normal for websites to clear out the old pages every once in a while, just like we bin old books and notebooks when we don't have any use for them any more.

I see what you mean, and thanks for the explanation. However, the timing of the review's initial disappearance from the Berkeley site was particularly interesting, i.e. a day or two after I posted a link to it on here! I tried to search for it using what I could remember from the page, and it was nowhere to be found online. I am glad that it is back now, though.

I don't trust RS, full stop! They are a big business, and I am sure they resent the competition from other programs such as Fluentz and Rocket, and in fact, I believe they have sued Rocket Languages for something relating to advertising.

I'm surprised they haven't tried to lean on the site owner here to remove threads that show RS in its true light. We're all linguists and most of us hate the program!

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5851 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 11 of 30
18 September 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
However, the timing of the review's initial disappearance from the Berkeley site was particularly interesting, i.e. a day or two after I posted a link to it on here!

Coincidence.

A) This is a less visited site than (for example) Wikipedia, where there's been a link for ages. Or indeed the page itself, which is on a site far more important than this one (no offense, FX).

B) If your post had been the trigger, it would have taken longer to be spotted, complaint written, complaint received, complaint considered, complaint passed to IT, page... than a day or two.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mts-ca
Diglot
United States
Joined 5725 days ago

12 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 30
19 September 2010 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Rosetta Stone v3 was most of what I used for Spanish in the beginning. I also used to
early version when I was in college and learning German. I would describe it more as an
advanced SRS.

It's advertised as a complete course for learning a language, and it certainly isn't.
As a piece of supplemental material it can be useful.

Rosetta Stone really tries to sell it's Dynamic Immersion method as being extremely
effective. In reality, it's quite the opposite. Once you finish Rosetta Stone you'll
vaguely understand what people are saying, you wont be able to say anything, and you'll
be able to read a bit.

If you're too exhausted to use a course book, or to focus on MP3s, then RS can be a way
to train yourself on your new language.

Version 4 looks like version 3 with 3 more levels, some audio CDs, an iPhone app, and
maybe some games.

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5851 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 

Message 13 of 30
19 September 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
They've also built a social networking site that really has nothing to do with the taught course and using that in the marketing blurb for the courses. "talk to real native speakers" or something like that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5270 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 14 of 30
20 September 2010 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
I really don't get it. RS comes it for a lot of flak here. I, myself, have never used it. But I know that many schools, both private and public, here in Québec swear by it. Somebody must like the produts.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6961 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 15 of 30
20 September 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I really don't get it. RS comes it for a lot of flak here. I, myself, have never used it. But I know that many schools, both private and public, here in Québec swear by it. Somebody must like the produts.

It depends on whom you want to believe: (1) A company that spends a fortune on clever advertising to sell it's expensive product, or (2) Seasoned linguists who have tried many methods to learn several languages and who have nothing to gain from their comments except the truth.

I was taken in too. Years ago I couldn't wait to get my hands on one of these amazing, miraculous, effortless language courses and see what I had been missing. Then I got hold of one, and boy, was I disappointed! I couldn't believe that all the hype was about clicking on pictures. I could learn so much more from a real textbook, in the time it took me to learn 10 words from the tedious point, click and guess method.
4 persons have voted this message useful

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 16 of 30
22 September 2010 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Chris wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I really don't get it. RS comes it for a lot of flak
here. I, myself, have never used it. But I know that many schools, both private and
public, here in Québec swear by it. Somebody must like the produts.

It depends on whom you want to believe: (1) A company that spends a fortune on clever
advertising to sell it's expensive product, or (2) Seasoned linguists who have tried
many methods to learn several languages and who have nothing to gain from their
comments except the truth.

I was taken in too. Years ago I couldn't wait to get my hands on one of these amazing,
miraculous, effortless language courses and see what I had been missing. Then I got
hold of one, and boy, was I disappointed! I couldn't believe that all the hype was
about clicking on pictures. I could learn so much more from a real textbook, in the
time it took me to learn 10 words from the tedious point, click and guess method.

I was the same way, but I got it by other means. I don't have it anymore. I tried it
out and was just put off because it didn't explain nothing to you. It tries to teach
you like a baby. I'm not a baby and never will. I have to know what I want to say.

It's like asking people how to say this or that in <language>. Expecting what they tell
you is correct, when it could be clearly wrong. I don't know why people (reviews all I
read) claim it is actually helpful. One aspect it does correct, is to make you think in
the language rather than seeing a different of the word and matching it. But, in the
end that's all the use it does have. I learned how to say more in German from a
textbook than I did in RS.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version