United Kingdom
learnalanguagein1yea
Joined 5095 days ago

29 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Thai, Spanish

Message 17 of 30
22 September 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
I quite like Rosetta stone and it sounds like i'm the only one on this thread that does. I know that the price is too
high and it should probably be about £50 a level instead of £250.

I didn't know that v4 was out. The RS website is still showing v3. I look forward to having a go on these.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5850 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 18 of 30
22 September 2010 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
One aspect it does correct, is to make you think in
the language rather than seeing a different of the word and matching it. But, in the
end that's all the use it does have. I learned how to say more in German from a
textbook than I did in RS.

I don't even think it guarantees that. The phrases it comes up with are sematically pretty complicated, and I always end up analysing it consciously... in terms of English.

I'm against the "no translation", because it always seems to me that the most successful students in a no-translation class actually do translate.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5184 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 19 of 30
23 September 2010 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
JasonUK wrote:
I quite like Rosetta stone and it sounds like i'm the only one on this thread that does.

I like it too. It was my introduction to this wonderful world of language-learning, and now that I have some experience with this discipline I realize Rosetta Stone helped me a lot indeed. There are many paths to learning a language, and Rosetta Stone is by no means the shabbiest, particularly for a beginner. Specially valuable is the very solid foundation it provides in the sounds of a language and their written representation.

One should be wholly aware though it will take you just one or two rugs up the ladder, and that the claims that you will "learn" a language from it are wholly misleading. What Rosetta Stone will teach you are the bare basics, but it does this well.

I think also its price and usage conditions are unconscionable, a whole order of magnitude greater than what you get from it warrants.

sheetz
United States
Joined 6216 days ago

270 posts - 356 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Mandarin

Message 20 of 30
23 September 2010 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I really don't get it. RS comes it for a lot of flak here. I, myself, have never used it. But I know that many schools, both private and public, here in Québec swear by it. Somebody must like the produts.

RS is more suited to classroom use than self-study, which is the focus of this community. In a classroom setting RS is most likely used in conjunction with both textbooks and teachers. In addition it becomes far more cost effective when considered on a per student basis.

Bill_Sage667
Groupie
United States
Joined 5044 days ago

62 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 21 of 30
24 September 2010 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Kinda angry at RS at the moment. I know of some friends (well, they're rich anyway, but
I'm still mad since I'm sure a lot of people would have wasted their hard-earned money
on this product, with dreams of becoming a hi-earning translator) who wasted money on
buying it. Their skills actually got worse. They felt that their advanced level went
down to intermediate, one of them was on an advanced-basic level, there was no
improvement. Fastest and easiest way to learn a language? More like 'suck at'. My
friends developed some bad habits in the language they were learning. They went through
all the levels though, since they got addicted to it. They seemed to have confused
effortlessness with effectiveness. The only thing that I'm grateful
for is that I'm way ahead now compared to my friends lol. Thank you RS!

Good for basics though (and for people who have a hard time visualizing). But could
easily pave through it using a 10-dollar grammar
workbook, and a lot faster too. I'd use livemocha.com, but I think my visualization is
good enough anyway.
Someone should set up a site that informs people that RS is good only for the bare
basics.
So many people wasting their hard-earned money and time.

He sees red cup. You hold bottle. I hate Rosetta Stone.

Edited by Bill_Sage667 on 24 September 2010 at 4:20pm

JasonUK
Triglot
United Kingdom
learnalanguagein1yea
Joined 5095 days ago

29 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, French
Studies: Thai, Spanish

Message 22 of 30
24 September 2010 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Bill_Sage667 wrote:

Someone should set up a site that informs people that RS is good only for the bare
basics.

I'll have to disagree with that comment. As someone who has completed levels 1,2 and 3 of french (v3) would not
count them as basic. In fact you really need to learn the basics before you begin using RS otherwise you will be
completely lost. Also there now are levels 4, 5 out since the beginning of this year which will be a step up again in
difficulty. I'm trying to get my hands on them at the moment at a cheap cost as I am certainly not rich like your
friend.

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5697 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 23 of 30
24 September 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
JasonUK wrote:
Bill_Sage667 wrote:

basics.

In fact you really need to learn the basics before you begin using RS otherwise you will be
completely lost.

That's not true at all. Rosetta Stone starts with NOTHING. There's no need to do any preparation work beforehand.

Chris
Heptaglot
Japan
Joined 6960 days ago

287 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian, Indonesian, French, Malay, Japanese, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Korean, Mongolian

Message 24 of 30
26 September 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
Chris wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I really don't get it. RS comes it for a lot of flak
here. I, myself, have never used it. But I know that many schools, both private and
public, here in Québec swear by it. Somebody must like the produts.

It depends on whom you want to believe: (1) A company that spends a fortune on clever
advertising to sell it's expensive product, or (2) Seasoned linguists who have tried
many methods to learn several languages and who have nothing to gain from their
comments except the truth.

I was taken in too. Years ago I couldn't wait to get my hands on one of these amazing,
miraculous, effortless language courses and see what I had been missing. Then I got
hold of one, and boy, was I disappointed! I couldn't believe that all the hype was
about clicking on pictures. I could learn so much more from a real textbook, in the
time it took me to learn 10 words from the tedious point, click and guess method.

I was the same way, but I got it by other means. I don't have it anymore. I tried it
out and was just put off because it didn't explain nothing to you. It tries to teach
you like a baby. I'm not a baby and never will. I have to know what I want to say.

It's like asking people how to say this or that in <language>. Expecting what they tell
you is correct, when it could be clearly wrong. I don't know why people (reviews all I
read) claim it is actually helpful. One aspect it does correct, is to make you think in
the language rather than seeing a different of the word and matching it. But, in the
end that's all the use it does have. I learned how to say more in German from a
textbook than I did in RS.

It's not even learning the way a child learns (another overplayed gimmick in the world of language learning). On the version I saw each lesson had a grammatical title for the topic, in the target language.

The reviews speak for themselves though. Take a look at the 1-star reviews of RS Korean on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Rosetta-Stone-V3-Companion-VERSION/dp/ B001GBLMMC/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285469608&sr=8- 1

There are claims that what they are teaching is actually wrong.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version