Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Goal-state = say anything you can in L1

Tags: Fluency
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
LeadingQuestion
United States
Joined 5018 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 11
22 September 2010 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
But not necessarily in as many ways as you'd be able to rephrase it. But
1) grammatically, and
2) not merely "technically" grammatically, but at least "acceptably" grammatically enough that the phraseology
you use
doesn't distract much from what you're getting at.

Actually, writing, too. Write anything you can write in your native lang(s) in the ones your conquering (and do
so in less idiosyncratic prose than herein)
------------------------------Goal-state ends------------------------

This is a "what I wanna say" approach, and may seem ego-centric, but I don't think it is. It's just what one
seeks to do, no? In any language.

I am seeking people who get _really_ fluent, I guess, after puberty. Not such a polyglossy thing numbers-wise,
necessarily, but perhaps a symptom of getting-stuck/falling-in-love/depth-firsting with a learned language.

I have a secret mission to offer, you see ;)

It helps if you don't barf at my nested geek-prose, but I'll write "normally" responding to any offhand
responders who deign to read through this delurk. (Oh: and hi everyone, and thanks for existing!)

Also, if there is a good thread for people who [aim perhaps [increasingly-realistically-seemingly]] to get good
enough to say/write anything,

So: I haven't seen anyone go specifically for the conversational + other-spoken goal.
Anything means I can say "No ??! You sure? I thought Leptons were more important than that" if a physicist
in L#<n> is telling me why I should really go for it and try learning real phys-math, and how I should start
from a [fields/metrics/categories?] viewpoint.
But it might not for you. I need to be able to explain articulatory phonetics as used by me. You may not. I need
to be able to speak at registers comfortable or not-insulting to my random interlocutors at various
educational levels. Anyone with this goal can presumable speak in a different levels of formality or whatever in
L1, so this would be a general goal for those with my "target" objective.

(I know this is waaay beyond the average English idiolectical definition of "fluent," but for internal use, I think
of this as the definition of thresholding from advanced-intermediate into advanced. "Fluent" would be the
same,
but being able to say it without taking too much time to ask for vocabulary, or monopolizing too much
conversation-turn-time circumlocuting. (I.e. same goal, but you can say things in a couple of ways, one of
which is pretty darn generally of acceptable succinctness). "Near native" is the same, but essentially always just
as natural and idiomatic as you wish.

And... less importantly and orthogonally ... I'm particularly interested if you're one of the supposed 1 in 20
who
acquire native-ish pronunciation/accent after e.g. 11-13 years of age (or if you can do mimicry of accents in
L1, and therefore presumably could get native-ish sounding if you wanted to or were coached).

Edited by LeadingQuestion on 23 September 2010 at 4:56pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Goethe_girl
United States
Joined 5024 days ago

39 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 2 of 11
22 September 2010 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Work on your exposition.
6 persons have voted this message useful

LeadingQuestion
United States
Joined 5018 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 3 of 11
22 September 2010 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
OK:

I am seeking people who get _really_ fluent, I guess, after puberty. Not such a polyglossy thing numbers-wise,
necessarily, but perhaps a symptom of getting-stuck/falling-in-love/depth-firsting with a learned language.

I have a secret mission to offer, you see ;)

-- Sorry to be impolite. (The rest was ancillary, anyway. Bed time :=]    )

Edited by LeadingQuestion on 22 September 2010 at 3:44am

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5698 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 4 of 11
22 September 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Why is your mission secret? Why don't you post here what you're proposing?
2 persons have voted this message useful

LeadingQuestion
United States
Joined 5018 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 5 of 11
23 September 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
It's only of interest if there are people who aim for that complete-active-competence line (expecting eventually
to get someplace pretty close).

If others are interested, I'll respond to questions off-forum, but not here and searchable.

The reason: I'm trying to put together a paying gig, and am poor, thus dreaming big.
I don't want anyone else to do my idea first, unless they'll take me on a co-partner, basically.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5221 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 6 of 11
23 September 2010 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
I'd only be interested in the paying kind of way if a co-partner was not, basically, kind of searchable and open in more than secretive ways of acting. Goal-stating is dandy and polyglossy more than just number-wise but it doesn't reach the state of being enough.

LeadingQuestion
United States
Joined 5018 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 7 of 11
23 September 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
Not sure what the ""the paying kind of way" refers to誰が何の費用をか , but I'm anything but secretive. Ask me
anything, in specific detail so I don't have to write tons of paragraphs, and I'll respond here or anywhere you
like-- I just figured out how to respond here without making it searchable;=)

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5221 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 11
23 September 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
LeadingQuestion wrote:
I just figured out how to respond here without making it searchable;=)

Did you find that feature by doing a search?

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version