Jase27
United States
Joined 5509 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, French

Message 1 of 3
27 September 2010 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
So I just downloaded the Princeton Russian course, but I'm confused on how best to approach it. I just have a
jumble of PDF files and mp3 files. Should I just say, open SLA 101, and then the Chapter 1 folder, and go through
each PDF lesson with the matching audio?

What is the best way to get the most out of each lesson? I've been using The New Penguin Russian Course some, so
I can sort of read Cyrillic already, even though I don't know what most of it means.

1 person has voted this message useful

jasoninchina
China
Joined 5071 days ago

221 posts - 306 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Italian

Message 2 of 3
27 September 2010 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
I recently started this course myself. Starting with chapter 1 seems the most logical method. I've been trying to spend a lot of time on each lesson, as it is the only material I'm using at the moment, and just listening and interacting with the audio as much as possible. As native English speakers, we really need to take the time to familiarize ourselves with the alphabet, pronunciation, etc.. I'm finding some of the sounds very foreign and difficult to reproduce.

Although this is the only method I'm using at the moment, I find it to be a good one. Each lesson builds upon the last, using the familiar examples and clear language. I really can't believe it's free! "what is the best way to get the most out of each lesson?" Do every lesson to its fullest. If the exercise is to write out the English meaning for the given Russian words, do the same for every Russian word in the lesson. If a lesson gives you a few new phrases, don't just become familiar with them, memorize them. Repeat them to yourself throughout the day. I have the habit of trying to move on before I'm ready, so I have to consciously slow myself down and ask myself if I am ready. Essentially, if I can't teach the lesson to someone else, I'm probably not ready to move on. This is, of course, to say that I "own" the material.

Jase27
United States
Joined 5509 days ago

21 posts - 23 votes
Studies: Russian, French

Message 3 of 3
27 September 2010 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I'm starting to get the hang of it. For me, the pronunciation is the hardest part. While I can read cyrillic now,
I have a hard time knowing when to pronounce an "e" as e or ye for example. The dreaded "bl" vowel and the soft
sign are the two hardest for me. There is no equivalent to "bl" in English, and I just can't seem to consistently grasp
how to say it. Which is frustrating since it's used often - like Tbl, or Mbl.

I haven't done the writing exercises yet though, I guess partly because I haven't concerned myself yet with the
written script - only typed.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version