United States
lepensuer.wordpress.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5436 days ago

34 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 5
28 September 2010 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Looking for resources in language learning, I came across this website; www.myngle.com.
Has anyone used it? What do you know about it? Any insights will be appreciated.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6310 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 2 of 5
28 September 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
I've been using it for a while, both as a student and as a teacher
(http://www.myngle.com/users/Sprachprofi). Right now it's the most popular
site for online 1-to-1 tutoring in a variety of languages. I particularly like that they
use a virtual classroom, i. e. the lessons are not just conversational but are based on
actual course materials, and I like that they have CEFR-based public course materials for
a variety of languages, so that teachers don't each have to create their own materials;
there's some standardization and quality control if you want it.

Yet teachers are not directly employed with Myngle (unlike with Berlitz etc.) so there's
some variance in quality of teaching and methods; just try out some and see whose style
you like.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 28 September 2010 at 6:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5537 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 5
29 September 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
I've used Myngle to re-begin Arabic. I had +/- 20 lessons in 30 days, a promotional offer. I had a good
teacher (Paul1) from Egypt and a good course. I stopped a while due to family reasons.
One day I spoke to my Egyptian friend -in Italian we talk- , reading some sentences from the course, he told
me that I had a good pronunciation, you maybe know that liaison is important in Arabic.
That little experience was a good motivation for me. I'm continuing now with Assimil l'Arabe. One day I'll
continue with my good Egyptian teacher Paul.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kmart
Australia
Joined 5964 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 5
30 September 2010 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
I've just started using it - I've had 2 Vietnamese beginner lessons, and I start a package of advanced Italian tonight.
Where I live, there is no access to face-to-face language instruction, and although I've participated in some intensive weekend courses, the cost of the courses and the travel costs and time make it unviable. For the total cost of one of these weekend courses, I have bought 30 x 45 minute lessons, from a native speaker with impressive qualifications, I get to take the classes when it suits me, and the routine provided gets my studies organised and structured - she gives serious amounts of homework, my teacher!
I'm also interested in doing the intensive package - did you think it was productive Staf ? I'm thinking it might give a kick-start to my fluency and comprehension levels which have stagnated the last couple of years - it's not exactly "full immersion" but at least daily immersion...
Oh by the way, go have a look at the forum on Myngle before choosing your teacher - I felt it was a useful insight into some of the personalities, and actually helped me rule out a couple of potentials who I thought wouldn't really suit me. Also, many of them are also listed on Edufire, and you can get further insights about them there.

arodriguez66
Diglot
United States
lepensuer.wordpress.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5436 days ago

34 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 5
30 September 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everybody, I think that I'll try Myngle.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version