CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5142 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 7
30 September 2010 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I currently finishing Assimil:le nouveau Russe sans Peine but I really have difficulty with the Active wave. The translation from French to Russian is extremely hard. I got the impression I don't retain the vocabulary even tought I understand at least 80% of the dialogue when I read it and at least 65% while listening.

For your information, I am lesson 32 out 70 in the active wave (I finish the last passive lesson in advance since my struggle in the active phase was beginning to crush my determination. It was a good decision, it really gave me a bost in motivation and confidence).

I also started TYS Complete Russian on the side mostly for the grammatical explanation since I find my Assimil book lacking in this area. For now, TYS work well, I am even learning by heart the declination table of noun and it exception without much work.

I would appreciate any advices or propositions to help get over my current problem.

Thank.

PS moderator: I am not sure if I should put this thread in this section or in Advice section. If I posted it in the wrong section, feel free to move it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ericounet
France
yojik.euRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5275 days ago

157 posts - 414 votes 
Studies: English, German, Russian

Message 2 of 7
30 September 2010 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Hi,

try DLI Russian: it has a far more systematic approach; I use the two (assimil, DLI) together, some grammar books also and one book found on internet "verbes on motion" which are not so easy to master.

One kind of book is not enough in my opinion; try the old 1951 assimil version (also found on internet): the material is different and better, I think.

hope this help

Eric!
-----

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Latvian

Message 3 of 7
01 October 2010 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Try the newer French base book Assimil: Le Russe, it's far more progressive, I might pick
up a copy myself...In all honesty the book you have (I have the Spanish base). Feels more
like a "Using" level book. I also have the Linguaphone Russian course which excellent. I
am going to work through the Linguaphone course before going back to Assimil.

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 01 October 2010 at 4:08am

grunts67
Diglot
Joined 5142 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 

Message 4 of 7
02 October 2010 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
Ericounet: I downloaded the DLI Russian a while ago, evry time, i open the PDF, i feel a urge to close it as soon as I see the drill. I don't think it a good ressource for. I will probably drill when I will have a huge difficulty in a really specific area.

I am looking for the older assimil book as well as we speak. I will probably buy the one for 1970 in french.

LatinBoy84: I saw the new course even one of my friend got it. He find it better that the older version (the one I got) but while browsing throught it, I found it really skim in term of words and sentences. I might borrow him his copy a couple of day to try it.

By the way, I just finish a small test on learning style. I seem to be more of a visual/spatial learner or

Reflective 7
Intuitive 9
Visual 9
Global 7

Thank you both for your suggestion and I am still open for other sugesstion.

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 5 of 7
03 October 2010 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
So basically Assimil has made the new book easier and more progressive...Do you find
that
our version (70 lessons) has a higher vocabulary count? I am not sure I want the 100
lesson course if it is too watered down, the Linguaphone course would give me a
sufficient base if anything.

Don't get me wrong I think that the 70 Lesson Assimil course is excellent...It's just
pretty damn hard...Which is good if you really want to learn Russian but starting with
another course before that Assimil seems more reasonable. What about doing a second
passive wave?

I was also thinking about the TYS course but I'm afraid that it might be too basic for
me at this point....

Edited by LatinoBoy84 on 03 October 2010 at 4:23am

grunts67
Diglot
Joined 5142 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 

Message 6 of 7
03 October 2010 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
LatinoBoy84 wrote:
So basically Assimil has made the new book easier and more progressive...Do you find
that
our version (70 lessons) has a higher vocabulary count? I am not sure I want the 100
lesson course if it is too watered down, the Linguaphone course would give me a
sufficient base if anything.

Don't get me wrong I think that the 70 Lesson Assimil course is excellent...It's just
pretty damn hard...Which is good if you really want to learn Russian but starting with
another course before that Assimil seems more reasonable. What about doing a second
passive wave?

I was also thinking about the TYS course but I'm afraid that it might be too basic for
me at this point....

The new assimil book seem to have the same vocabulary count as his precedecor but the dialogue were really short and basic (I check rapidely the middle of the book). I find the 70 lessons version really hard, unfriendly (uninteressting even plain stupid) and the grammatical explanation awful but the dialogue are long, the audio quality is good.

I bought the TYS complet Russian. I am still in an early stage to make a complet review of this book but beside some typo and format error, the lesson in sle fis really good and seem to complement Assimil really well. I learnt a more about the grammar (specially cases) from TYS than Assimil. Right now, I find my 25$ investment really worth it.

About the Linguaphone course, it's seem to be a bit pricy for my budget. I can't put 300-400$ into a language course at the moment. Maybe one day...

LatinoBoy84
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

443 posts - 603 votes 

Message 7 of 7
03 October 2010 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your review of TYS. I also have the Living Language books I'm going to work
through. I know what you mean about the grammar section in the Assimil book. I got lucky
with the Linguaphone course, I bought a used copy the course has been the same from the
date of the original publishing. I think part of the struggle of the Assimil book isn't
that it's a bad book, it just that Russian can be a monster of a language (for us Romance
Language speakers). One needs to start with another book or two.

The book is good, but crazy, that's why I had to stop and will go back to it after
another course or two. The dialogs were varied and contained many idioms and cultural
notes.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version