Norway
Joined 5008 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: French

Message 1 of 2
02 October 2010 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I've decided to start teaching myself french using one of the many programs (books and audiotapes) described on this site.

The only question is which one to choose? I studied french for three years at high school, but it's been over three years since I graduated, and as far as I am concerned the only thing I can do in french is reading simple texts.

So what are your recommendations for a student like me?

Best regards eremit

Edited by eremit on 02 October 2010 at 3:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5405 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 2
02 October 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
My view is that one program won't do. If it were me doing it again, I would do this, in this order:

Michel Thomas Foundation and Advanced, or Collins French with Paul Noble and MT Advanced.

Living Language Ultimate Beginner-Intermediate or Hugo French in Three Months together with Teach Yourself French Grammar (to get extra grammar explanation and practice - tie the TY book with the weeks of the Living Language Hugo course)

Pimsleur French - but only if you can get it free at a library or can find a low cost version. If not get Teach Yourself French Conversation and Teach Yourself Phone French. At the same time go through a grammar review course like The Ultimate French Review or the Practice Makes Perfect books.

Assimil French With Ease

Skype with people who speak native French or find a French student who wants to trade Norwegian conversation practice for French conversation practice.

Assimil Using French and Living Language Ultimate French, read French Mr Men books, Le Petit Prince and listen to the RFI news in french. Watch the Simpsons and Star Trek in French.

Obviously you can enter at any point in this list depending on your current ability.

Edited by Elexi on 02 October 2010 at 4:16pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version