Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5230 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 34
25 March 2010 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Thanks Fanatic. My worries lied mostly in the fact that I told a friend to use it and
since she was quite confused at the beginning, it got me wondering.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kampernaut
United Kingdom
Joined 5231 days ago

38 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 10 of 34
25 March 2010 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Hopefully I can provide you with some additional reassurance that the recommendation you made to your friend was a good one.

I started the Assimil course you are talking about a few weeks ago. I had previously been trying to learn with podcasts called
Coffee Break French and a course called Façon Parler. Many years ago I also spent a lot of time on the BBC's Get By In French in
preparation for some business trips. I suppose I would be what Assimil call a "false beginner".

I'm now at Lesson 55 of the Assimil course which means I'm just starting the second wave. My prior learning allowed me to whizz
through the earlier lessons. I chose Assimil because the other things I had tried didn't force me to speak very much and I too
read the recommendations here. Now I've hit the second wave, the individual lessons are more complex so they take longer.
One lesson and the second wave repeat of an earlier one take up all the time I have available in a day to devote to learning
French.

I must say that I think the course is very good indeed and refreshingly different. A few weeks ago I had put aside an easy reader
book because it was starting to get too difficult for me to understand as I got into the later chapters. Yesterday I picked it up
again and was able to completely understand a few pages that were challenging me before I started Assimil.

In the beginning, I too questioned the simplicity of the lessons and the value of reading the phrases aloud but after a few lessons
the obvious flaws in my ability to speak French were exposed and I discovered that I really didn't fully comprehend things I
thought I understood from previous materials . It really helps your pronunciation if you keep repeating and trying to emulate the
audio as closely as possible. This repetition also seems to make you start to think in the language. When I'm speaking the
French words, I'm not thinking of the translation but directly what the phrases mean. Almost as though the words themselves
create pictures in my mind.

The pace of the spoken words in the audio accelerates quite quickly as you advance through the lessons. It is very helpful for it
to be so slow in the beginning.

Please don't be mislead by the apparent simplicity of the early lessons. Your friend will be thankful for it when he/she returns to
them in the second wave. Despite the simplicity, the act of translating from English both verbally and in writing makes one
properly understand things you think you know.

Anything new that I come across gets put onto a flashcard program on my iPhone. I put a phrase with the new word in it on one
side and the English translation on the other. The flashcard program uses spaced repetition to automatically help get the words
into my long term memory. I find phrases are more effective than single words. I try to make sure that the phrase illustrates the
gender of a new noun and I sometimes make up phrases that illustrate the conjugation of verbs.

I've also found that I'm starting to catch more of the French radio programmes I listen to. I'm nowhere near fully understanding
the entire dialogue but I am definitely catching more than just the odd word here and there.

I have suspended work on the other courses I was working with due to time constraints and a preference for Assimil. I will
probably return to them later. If I had the time, I would probably continue with other materials in parallel to Assimil particularly
Façon Parler because it is based upon written exercises.

In summary, I think your friend should stick with it and you should try not to worry too much that your recommendation wasn't a
good one. If your friend has the time to follow another course in parallel, I don't think that would do much harm.

I don't think Assimil is for everyone. I don't fully understand how it works but I know it is working for me. I hope it does for your
friend too.

9 persons have voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5434 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 11 of 34
25 March 2010 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I enjoy Assimil German Without Toil, it's much more simple and to the point, no "fluff" if you understand what I mean. I have Italian with Ease also, I think it's best to go through that program with at least SOME knowledge of the language. I have Berlitz Self Teacher Italian, which I will finish before starting Assimil :) Hopefully it will help me understand more :)

I got to lesson 18 of German Without Toil before laying it aside... I can read about anything in German and understand around 50-60% of it. A member here sent me an email a couple days ago in German, and I was able to read it word for word.

Assimil definitely works, you just have to stick with it :) It's a great method.

Edited by datsunking1 on 25 March 2010 at 4:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6319 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 12 of 34
25 March 2010 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I am presently doing an experiment with Assimil Swahili. Learning European languages is
one thing, but I want to know if it can teach me a language I have never studied before
and where I also have no help in the form of similarity to a known language. I was
initially worried about progress as well, but I'm now drawing close to the end of the
passive phase and the earlier dialogs are really easily comprehensible. So are the few
exercise dialogs I set aside, so it's not just a matter of having memorized the
translation, I can also understand other materials that draw on the same grammar and
vocabulary. What's more, I get the feeling that I'm immediately internalizing the
language, while with other courses I first learn grammar and vocabulary and rely on
translations, only later getting that feeling of having internalized the language, the
epiphany moment. I'm not sure if another epiphany moment lies in store for me, but I
already feel better about Swahili than I did about Czech, which I studied using Teach
Yourself. Of course I'm only doing passive work at the moment.

I did enter vocabulary into Anki for easier memorization. This is because a lot of
words are very similar, and Swahili's conjugation is very versatile, not rarely only
two letters of an 8 letter word are actually part of the verb stem. So I am re-
inforcing verb stems mostly and this way I was also able to estimate that the complete
Assimil course will probably teach me 1500 words - not as many as some other Assimil
courses, such as the Modern Greek one, but definitely more than any other language
course I know of. I am looking forward to mastering Swahili. You can follow my progress
in my TAC log.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5230 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 13 of 34
25 March 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Well, I'll be darned. Last night, I dreamed I had given the wrong Assimil version to my friend and that the right version had bright, colourful pages where the dialogs were illustrated in cartoon format.

zorglub
Pentaglot
France
Joined 6849 days ago

441 posts - 504 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: German, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 14 of 34
27 March 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
I enjoy Assimil German Without Toil, it's much more simple and to the point, no "fluff" if
you understand what I mean. ...

I got to lesson 18 of German Without Toil before laying it aside... I can read about anything in German and
understand around 50-60% of it. A member here sent me an email a couple days ago in German, and I was able
to read it word for word.
Assimil definitely works, you just have to stick with it :) It's a great method.

Whaaaat ???
After lesson 18 you can read about anything in German and understand around 50-60% of it ?

I'n stunned and dead jealous,, I can't achieve as much after going through the whole course, active/passive and
a lot of shadowing.

You must have hiddent skills.
3 persons have voted this message useful

pineappleboom
Groupie
United States
languageloft-ashley.
Joined 5102 days ago

66 posts - 76 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, French, Russian

Message 15 of 34
13 July 2010 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
no one has a hidden talent for languages you have to be motivated and passionate.

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5151 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 16 of 34
13 July 2010 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
fanatic wrote:

No Assimil is not a bunch of disconnected, meaningless dribble.

I learnt German from the beginning with Assimil German Without Toil. I had never learnt any German elsewhere. I spent between half an hour a day to up to 45 minutes, always broken up into several sessions. I was conversing in German in less than a month. I was fluent enough after six months to work in Germany and make technical translations.

I have around 14 Assimil language courses and like them all except two.

Many of us have used Assimil effectively and succeeded. Try it using the method they suggest. Work through the passive stage without worrying about what you have learnt or whether you have memorised the vocabulary or understood the grammar. Half an hour on each lesson is probably enough. Break that half hour up into segments no longer than 10 minutes. Review old lessons when you can.

Then, when you begin the active stage you will find it easy and you will see you have learnt a lot.

OoC
Which Assimil method did you use and didn't like ? For none-european language, did you manage the lesson in 30-45 minutes, one each day ?
/OoC

OP, you really need to give the method some time to see the result. Don't forget, you need the time to assimil the language. As an another user as suggest, do a couple of lessons, try and see the result after completing lesson 14. You will not be able to talk very much but you will understand some bribe of the language. If you put the effort, you will get the reward.

If it doesn't work, maybe assimil isn't for you and you could try an another method like fanatic suggested.

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version