Hebe
United States
Joined 5627 days ago

9 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 17
02 June 2009 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
This post is directed to native speakers of Hebrew, as well as people who have perfected the pronunciation of the letter "R" in Hebrew. The letter ר

1.) Please give me any advice possible on how to properly make this sound. Where do I place my tongue? What sort of exercises can I do to work my way into this sound?

2.) Are there any other "R" (ר) sounds that are acceptable in Hebrew? For example, what does the standard American "R" sound like when speaking Hebrew? What about the Italian or Spanish trilled "R"? Does that sound acceptable when a foreigner speaks Hebrew? What "R" sounds the best (aside from the native one)?

Thanks,
Hebe
1 person has voted this message useful

mishels
Diglot
Israel
Joined 5728 days ago

39 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, English
Studies: German, French

Message 2 of 17
02 June 2009 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
I don't think one could say one R sounds better than the other. If you speak Hebrew with the American R, you would sound like an American speaking Hebrew. If you speak with the Spanish R, you would sound like a Spanish speaking Hebrew.

But I'd say the French is the closest, then Spanish and only than the American.
For some reason, American R seems to almost be nothing at all.
In the American R you just have a slight change in the way you hold your tongue or something like that. There is no contact between the tongue and anything.

When saying R in Hebrew, the source of the sound comes from way back, at the beginning of the tongue and the tip of the tongue stays straight.

If you want, we can skype sometime and you could try to copy me or something.
Mishel.

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5869 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 3 of 17
03 June 2009 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
mishels wrote:
I don't think one could say one R sounds better than the other. If you speak Hebrew with the American R, you would sound like an American speaking Hebrew. If you speak with the Spanish R, you would sound like a Spanish speaking Hebrew.

But I'd say the French is the closest, then Spanish and only than the American.
For some reason, American R seems to almost be nothing at all.
In the American R you just have a slight change in the way you hold your tongue or something like that. There is no contact between the tongue and anything.

When saying R in Hebrew, the source of the sound comes from way back, at the beginning of the tongue and the tip of the tongue stays straight.

If you want, we can skype sometime and you could try to copy me or something.
Mishel.

Hi Mishel! [Did you get my reply to your message?]

I suppose I'm an intermediate student, and have heard quite a few native speakers - including TV and radio.
I think you're fair to use the word 'close' with regard to the French R. I don't think it's the exactly same (I'm bilingual English/French and speak German). You often hear that the Hebrew R is "the same as in French and German" - but the R isn't even the same in French and German to start with! They are fairly close but you can distinguish speakers of those languages when they're speaking the other, even if they speak fluently, from the way they pronounce the R.
Back to Hebrew. Sometimes - in particular the resh at the end of a word - it sounds to my ear like it's similar to an English W! Or else it is almost swallowed - you hear it's there but it's not as clear as in French or German.

There's a guy who reads the weather forecast sometimes on Radio Galgalatz at 8 o'clock in the morning who has a very strong American accent, with a strong American R. It sounds weird and is very difficult to understand.

zhiguli
Canada
Joined 6386 days ago

176 posts - 221 votes 
Studies: Russian, Mandarin

Message 4 of 17
04 June 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
From what I've heard the Spanish/Italian r is the only acceptable variation, in fact it used to be the standard used on TV, radio, in songs etc but the majority on the streets continued to use the Yiddish uvular r which eventually won out.
The American r is the butt of jokes (one of the Israelis I know calls Americans "re-re's") and is not considered good pronunciation.

Lemanensis wrote:

There's a guy who reads the weather forecast sometimes on Radio Galgalatz at 8 o'clock in the morning who has a very strong American accent, with a strong American R. It sounds weird and is very difficult to understand.

Oh, this guy is well known.

ego.penso
Israel
Joined 5600 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 5 of 17
05 June 2009 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Well, first of all don't concern yourself too much with pronunciation. Since we, the
native speakers of Hebrew, inherited our language from our parents, who weren't native
speakers, our accent has been influenced mainly by Yiddish, which is close to German.
Anyhow, our ears are so used to foreign accents in Hebrew, that we find any foreign
accent to be 100% intelligible.
Now, about the R sound. I think it's the most dominant sound in Hebrew, so just upon
hearing it, Israelis will figure out your nationality, especially if you're an
American. So you might want to tune it down a bit. I would say the Hebrew R is close
to the German R, but much softer, and sometimes swallowed. BTW, The weather guy on
Galgalaz is not a presenter, he is merely a meteorologist.
On the same issue, one thing very noticed when Americans speak Hebrew, is that they
make the long E sound into a long ye sound. For instance, most Americans pronounce the
word "two" as "Shtayem" instead of "Shta-iem". Better watch out for that.

Lemanensis
Bilingual Pentaglot
Groupie
Switzerland
hebrew.ecott.ch
Joined 5869 days ago

73 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 6 of 17
05 June 2009 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
ego.penso wrote:
The weather guy on

Or as he might prefer to say, he's not merely a presenter he's a meteorologist... LOL

Hebe
United States
Joined 5627 days ago

9 posts - 7 votes

Message 7 of 17
05 June 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I emailed a friend of mine in Israel. Here's what he said:

"I've never heard an American who speaks with good Hebrew accent. your L, for example, comes from inside, and our comes from the tongue. If you can do that now, I'm sure it will be more difficult during you actually speak.
But, you're lucky to be American. to my opinion the most acceptable accent is the American. if you can't say our R, say yours. don't try the Spanish or something else. We love Americans, we like the sound of your language because we hear it all the time. Israel is like a small America in the middle east. in a lot of ways we try to create a culture like yours. so don't worry about accent. it's cool to be American.

if you want to pronounce the resh, you have to hear it. it comes from the same place that the letter het (ח) comes from,but you also make sound with your voice strings (what you don't do when you say het).
this is the way to say it. but usually we 'swallow' the sound, and the resh sounds softer than het. you barely hear the dirt, as you hear in in het. just say something from the deep of your throat, it will sound similar to resh.

I know it's not the best explanation, but its almost impossible to do it better..."

Hebe
United States
Joined 5627 days ago

9 posts - 7 votes

Message 8 of 17
05 June 2009 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
ego.penso wrote:
Well, first of all don't concern yourself too much with pronunciation. Since we, the
native speakers of Hebrew, inherited our language from our parents, who weren't native
speakers, our accent has been influenced mainly by Yiddish, which is close to German.
Anyhow, our ears are so used to foreign accents in Hebrew, that we find any foreign
accent to be 100% intelligible.
Now, about the R sound. I think it's the most dominant sound in Hebrew, so just upon
hearing it, Israelis will figure out your nationality, especially if you're an
American. So you might want to tune it down a bit. I would say the Hebrew R is close
to the German R, but much softer, and sometimes swallowed. BTW, The weather guy on
On the same issue, one thing very noticed when Americans speak Hebrew, is that they
make the long E sound into a long ye sound. For instance, most Americans pronounce the
word "two" as "Shtayem" instead of "Shta-iem". Better watch out for that.

Excellent information. Thank you very much. Thanks to everyone so far who has responded.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version